• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

$50 application fee. What!!??

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Application fees keep the un-qualified applicants from flooding HR with resumes. I don't know anything about HR, but I suspect that the law probably requires a company to start some sort of file on any applicant. That is a lot of work to waste on someone the company knows they are not going to hire. It's a way to cut down on the workload, weed out the un-qualified applicants, see how badly someone wants to work at the company, and make a little money too.

hoover said:
Application fees keep the un-qualified applicants from flooding HR with resumes. I don't know anything about HR, but I suspect that the law probably requires a company to start some sort of file on any applicant. That is a lot of work to waste on someone the company knows they are not going to hire. It's a way to cut down on the workload, weed out the un-qualified applicants, see how badly someone wants to work at the company, and make a little money too.
They just want the money.

You can show them who is boss by not applying, You will be a better man for living up to your convictions, and you will deprive that airline of your services. That will really punish them for that outrageous charge.

pilotyip said:
You can show them who is boss by not applying, You will be a better man for living up to your convictions, and you will deprive that airline of your services. That will really punish them for that outrageous charge.
:laugh:

Too true...

If you dont want to pay the $50 fee, then don't do it.

yeah..you show em...ask the guys that got hired and are making 6 figures if they care about the 50 dollars...when i got hired there was no app fee..but i would have paid...please...you got guys buying types for swa..people paid for training a couple years back! 50 dollars...yeah you show em...

Now back in 1994 I believe there was a supposed airline starting up in CLT. They had $100 application fee, no airplanes, no certificate and only one guy in the office collecting applications. Remember in 1994 jobs were harder to get than right now and pay for training was in it hay day. However this guy was guilty of fraud and went to jail after collecting over $25,000 in application fees.

While I think application fees are wrong and set a bad tone for a good employer/employee relationship you have to play the game. Look at it for what it is.....a petty cash grab. Says a lot about a company.

Just to be clear: Mesa doesn't charge an application fee, they charge a $50 interview fee, so the argument about controlling the flood of apps from unqualified candidates doesn't apply to Mesa.

hoover said:

Not exactly correct. If that were REALLY true then how come they still get thousands of applications? That's what they'd like you to believe, so they can justify it. Of course, it's bullshit! In some states, it's even illegal. From my own experiences, I would say about 50% of US airlines "charge" anything between $35 to $100 a pop. Makes for a great Christmas party in HR or a nice little bonus. It's merely another hoop to jump through.
Funny how this "rule" does not apply to other industries or indeed, to carriers outside of the US. Most places it would be ILLEGAL to have to pay for an interview and/or job.

pilotyip said:
Now back in 1994 I believe there was a supposed airline starting up in CLT. They had $100 application fee, no airplanes, no certificate and only one guy in the office collecting applications. Remember in 1994 jobs were harder to get than right now and pay for training was in it hay day. However this guy was guilty of fraud and went to jail after collecting over $25,000 in application fees.

Hey Yip, are you serious, man?
Chiselling in the airline industry? How can that be? I was under the distinct impression that most airlines valued their employees and did not discriminate any group!! Must have been another profession.......

Latest resources

Back