43 dead in Chinese E-190 crash

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

DieselDragRacer

A Chinese passenger plane overshot a runway and burst into flames while attempting to land on Tuesday in China's northeast, killing 43 people on board, state media reported.

The plane crashed while trying to touch down in the city of Yichun in remote Heilongjiang province, Xinhua said.

Hua Jingwei, an Communist Party official in Yichun, said that 43 bodies had been recovered from the wreckage and 53 survivors taken to hospital for treatment.

The plane had 91 passengers, including five children, and five crew on board, Xinhua said, citing a source at the Civil Aviation Administration of China (CAAC).

The aircraft was an E-190 jet, a passenger aircraft manufactured by Brazilian aerospace conglomerate Embraer, operated by Henan Airlines, a carrier based in the northern Chinese province of the same name.

The crash occurred shortly after 9:30 pm (local time) near Yichun's Lindu airport, less than an hour after the plane took off from Harbin, the provincial capital, Xinhua said.

A vice mayor of Yichun told media that most of those taken to hospital did not have life-threatening injuries.

A 20-strong group of CAAC technicians and officials was sent to the crash site and Chinese vice premier Zhang Dejiang is to lead a team of transport, safety and security officials to deal with the aftermath.

Yichun is about 150 kilometres from China's northern border with Russia.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010/08/25/2992493.htm?section=justin

China's Henan suspends operations after crash

China's Henan Airlines has suspended its flight operations temporarily, after last night's deadly air crash involving an Embraer 190 operated by the airline.
The carrier cancelled all its flights today and is likely to cancel flights tomorrow as well, says an airline official.
"The airline's management is still in discussions with the authorities to see how we should proceed from here," he adds.
Search and rescue operations have recovered the aircraft's flight data recorder and cockpit voice recorder, says the official.

The aircraft overshot the runway at Yichun Airport in the northeastern province of Heilongjiang last night while it was landing after a flight from Harbin.
The twin-jet broke apart and caught fire as a result of the impact, and eventually came to a stop in a grassy patch 1.5km away from the runway.
Of the 96 people on board, 42 died in the crash.
The airline official says weather conditions at the airport were foggy last night, but adds that it was not raining.
Yichun Airport, which only began operations last August, has a 2,300m long runway. The airport was constructed in 14 months, and can accommodate Airbus A320s, Boeing 737-700s and other smaller aircraft.

The captain was Chinese. Not sure about the f/o. The captain survived and is in the hospital recovering so he can be shot at a later date.

The captain was Chinese. Not sure about the f/o. The captain survived and is in the hospital recovering so he can be shot at a later date.

If it the Captain was an American, would you say the same thing....idiot?

I guess you didn't catch my black humor. I will not call you a ......... because I am a bit bigger than that. I live and work as a captain in China. He will be tried, and convicted in a Chinese court of law. He may very well be executed if found guilty. I was trying to make a point and difference between here(China) and the U.S. If he was American he would be in a heap of trouble.

I guess you didn't catch my black humor. I will not call you a ......... because I am a bit bigger than that. I live and work as a captain in China. He will be tried, and convicted in a Chinese court of law. He may very well be executed if found guilty. I was trying to make a point and difference between here(China) and the U.S. If he was American he would be in a heap of trouble.

My bad. Apologies.

That's a little harsh, he may be sent off to China Eastern for punishment.

Latest resources

Back