421 insurance requirements

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

bugchaser

Hey guys, I have a unique opportunity to get some time this winter flying a 421 for a private individual. The big hurdle seems to be the insurance. Does anyone know what they will be looking for in this type of airplane. I have talked with several people that seem to think that I can be covered if I go to school on the aircraft. For reference, I have about 6500 TT but only 75 multi time. Is this doable if I am willing to shell out for school? If it gets that far which is the best option for training. Flight Safety or others? I know this is going to be tough but I think that it can be done. Before I go my turbine job all I heard was that there was no way to get insured. There is always a way!

I think you will be "insurable" but they will most likely require formal training due to your extremely low multi-time.

I heard SimCom offers a good Twin Cessna course and is cheaper than Flight Safety.

The 421 is a good machine, especially the "C" model (no tip tanks)

I have gone to simcom for the 340 initial training, the simulator in scottsdale is a 421 cockpit, as I recall it's actually the first 421 off the assembly line from cessna. I thoroughly enjoyed my time at simcom, I have not been to flightsafety but I find it hard to beat the experience at simcom. They went out of their way on an almost last minute basis to take a third person into our class, all of the instructors have many many hours in the actual aircraft and are very good at imparing their knowledge. Simcom is definatelly a first class place and I would tell anybody right away to pick them.

-Brian

Hello,

I took the c-414 intial at SIMCOM and 3 or 4 recurrents there. The intial is a long 5 days but the sim is much nicer than anything Flight Safety has. It had wrap around graphics and it seems pretty real. Also the people at SimCom actually have many hundreds/thousands of hours in the plane. When I took C-441 intial at Flight Safety my instructor was very good but the sim was terrible(it would stick and jerk sometimes) and he had no time in the plane he was teaching me.

You shouldn't have any trouble getting insurance as long as you go to the intial school. If your instrument skills are not to sharp you will find the sim demanding at best. However at the end of the week you will feel very comfortable in the airplane. The sims are great because you can go through many senarios you just can't in the plane.

CD

Best thing to do is call the insurance company and ask. Most policies have published minimums but can be waived with a review based on your application. I have over 600 hours in the 421C and attended Simcom every six month for recurrents. Good place with knowledgeable instructors.

Anything I can help you with just ask or PM me.

Humble

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back