Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

ksu_aviator

GO CATS
Well, it is finally required for everyone starting in July (international flights only) so I was wondering what installations you have gone with. I'm looking at the ACK 406 ELT, but it won't be available until June and that might be cutting it close on my next trip to Mexico, especially if there is a delay in the release.

Oh, btw, we are not going to be jumping the pond, just the Gulf. Does anyone know if that requires a dual system?

Last edited:
Well, it is finally required for everyone starting in July (international flights only) so I was wondering what installations you have gone with. I'm looking at the ACK 406 ELT, but it won't be available until June and that might be cutting it close on my next trip to Mexico, especially if there is a delay in the release.

Oh, btw, we are not going to be jumping the pond, just the Gulf. Does anyone know if that requires a dual system?

A dual system is only required for 19 or more paxs involved in Commercial Air Transportation.

NBAA has some good info.

http://beta.nbaa.org/member/ops/cns/elt/

Last edited:
Here is the word from Trans Canada on March 3, 2009.

Dear sir,

Thank you for your recent email (see below) received at the Transport Canada Civil Aviation Communications Centre.

The regulation is not yet in effect and will not be published until mid to late March 2009. The regulation will require aircrafts to have a 406MHz ELT or an alternate means of compliance that has the same performance as a 406Mhz ELT. Transport Canada will be offering a two year transition period for all aircraft flying in southern Canada but the aircraft must carry a 121.5 MHz ELT until such time as the 406MHz or an alternate means gets installed.

For clarification southern Canada is defined as being south of 55 degrees Latitude west of 80 degree Longitude and south of 50 degrees Latitude east of 80 degree Longitude. Aircraft flying into northern Canada must fully comply with the new ELT regulation on the date that the regulation comes into effect by having will require a 406MHz ELT or alternate means that has the same performance as a 406MHz ELT.

Thank you for taking the time to contact us. I trust this information will be of assistance to you. Please do not hesitate to contact us again should you require further information or assistance.

Kind regards,

Véronique Shinder
Information Officer / Agente d'Information
Civil Aviation Communication Centre /
Centre de Communications de l'Aviation Civile
1 800-305-2059 / 613-993-1720
Facsimile / Télécopieur 613-957-4208
[email protected]
Transport Canada / Place de Ville (AARC), Ottawa ON K1A 0N5
Transports Canada / Place de Ville (AARC), Ottawa ON K1A 0N5
www.tc.gc.ca/CivilAviation/menu.htm

Latest resources