Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

RIOtoPilot

To those in the know:
I heard through an A&P friend that the FAA requires an additional endorsement for aircraft having over 400 HP that are turbine powered. He said that it was different than the standard 200 HP high-performance signoff. Could anyone enlighten me? Thanks.

T-34C or Piper Malibu?

I'm with you - the only ones I know about were High Perf, Complex, Tailwheel, High Alt, etc. Are there any pilots out there who fly or have flown single engine turboprops?

Thanks guys - it's a refreshing change to get some useful info on this board vice some of the disgruntled bickering.

RIOtoPilot said:
To those in the know:
I heard through an A&P friend that the FAA requires an additional endorsement for aircraft having over 400 HP that are turbine powered. He said that it was different than the standard 200 HP high-performance signoff. Could anyone enlighten me? Thanks.
Maybe A&Ps need an endoresement to work on turbine engines, but there is no endoresment for pilots

No endorsement required to work on a turbine engine (or turboprop/turboshaft engine) from a maintenance point of view. There's a been a lot of talk about type ratings for mechanics. I'm not sure where that effort is headed right now, but it's always rumored.

There's no additional logbook endorsement for a pilot for a 400 hp engine, vs. a 200 hp engine.

I do operate a turboprop single (1,200 shp, and 1,500 shp). The government requires aircraft-specific carding to fly it, which is a certification rather than an endorsement, but there was never any endosement required.

14 CFR 61.101(g) requires that a recreational pilot with less than 400 hours get a logbook endorsement from an authorized instructor if he or she hasn't logged any PIC time in the prior 180 days.

61.195(h)(3)(ii)(a) is part of several provisions, any one of which a flight instructor must meet to participate as an instructor teaching a flight instructor course, in order to teach (I know that could have been worded better, TonyC). One of the criteria an instructor can use is 400 hours of instruction given.

Those are the only two places in Part 61 that 400 is even mentioned. 61.31 makes no mention of the requirements your mechanic friend suggested. The only requirement related to that would be the standard high performance endorsement found in 61.31(f).

OK, this is the deal, everybody that wants a 400 HP endorsement, paypal me $52.64, and I'll send you an e-mail endorsement. Certain restrictions apply.

I'll do it for $60, and I'll mail you a sticker endorsement.

Cash, check, money order, credit card (excluding American Express), and PayPal accepted.

Latest resources

Back