40 pilots charged for lying to FAA

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Same story, but from the press, which is easier to follow:

Feds: Dozens of California pilots found to be licensed to fly, but getting disability pay
By KIM CURTIS
ASSOCIATED PRESS
SAN FRANCISCO, July 19 — Forty pilots were arrested after an investigation found they were licensed to fly but were receiving Social Security disability payments for a variety of illnesses, federal officials said.
The pilots, who include commercial and transport pilots, claimed to be medically fit to fly airplanes. However, they may have been flying with debilitating illnesses that should have kept them grounded, ranging from schizophrenia and bipolar disorder to drug and alcohol addiction and heart conditions, said Marlon Cobar, a prosecutor with the U.S. Attorney's office in Fresno.
An 18-month review of 40,000 pilots in Northern California began in July 2003 as a Homeland Security project to look into the fraudulent use of Social Security numbers.
When dozens of names turned up in both Social Security Administration and Federal Aviation Administration rolls, ''they realized there was probably criminal wrongdoing — either lying to the FAA or wrongfully receiving benefits,'' Cobar said.
The FAA immediately revoked 14 pilots' licenses and medical certificates, which are necessary to maintain a valid license, the U.S. attorney's office said. Others were referred for administrative revocation.
''We chose the most egregious,'' Cobar said Monday. ''You can't really fly a plane if you're telling the Social Security Administration you have a disabling back condition or bipolar disorder.''
Other pilots not yet charged were found to be lying about having illnesses in order to collect the Social Security payment, Cobar said.
FAA spokesman Donn Walker said it was unclear how many of the pilots flew for a living, but that at least a dozen of them held commercial or airline transport licenses.
Thirty pilots are charged with making false statements to a government agency, and 10 are charged with making and delivering a false official writing.

On the Net:
http://www.usdoj.gov/usao/can
© 2005 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

TDTURBO said:
Without the risk of getting banned, what the heck does that mean? That is of course if you can spell it out for those of us that don't know.

At risk of being labeled a computer dork. PWNED is OWNED in computer geek speek. Since the O and P keys are closed together when you are furiously typing while playing online games you make a lot of mistakes, this one just became part of the lingo.

Variants

PWNT
PWNAGE
etc.

There are others too.

The = Teh
Hate =H8
etc.

Its called Leet speek (also spelled 1337) since the numbers look like LEET.

It is actually an amazing sub culture, some of the guys can type entire paragraphs without spelling a single word with conventional letters.

Example
1 @/\/\ @ 1337 6006

Transaltion: I am a leet dude.

That one little sentance took me a almost a minute to write, trying to figure out all the subsitutions, but to see some of these guys online it is simply amazing, a whole new language.

DC8 Flyer said:
At risk of being labeled a computer dork. PWNED is OWNED in computer geek speek. Since the O and P keys are closed together when you are furiously typing while playing online games you make a lot of mistakes, this one just became part of the lingo.

Variants

PWNT
PWNAGE
etc.

There are others too.

The = Teh
Hate =H8
etc.

Its called Leet speek (also spelled 1337) since the numbers look like LEET.

It is actually an amazing sub culture, some of the guys can type entire paragraphs without spelling a single word with conventional letters.

Example
1 @/\/\ @ 1337 6006

Transaltion: I am a leet dude.

That one little sentance took me a almost a minute to write, trying to figure out all the subsitutions, but to see some of these guys online it is simply amazing, a whole new language.

My ex-roomate was one of those guys..and scarily enough, I absorbed enough whilst living with him that the example above made total sense to me, before I scrolled down.

:D

OMG am I out of the loop! Totally clueless. Man am I glad I have a social life, somewhat atleast.;)

We could call it computer ebonics, lmao! (Laughing my ass off) for those like me that are generation baby boomer.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back