• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

4 year degree

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I happen to agree with YIP on this one. I'm always thinking about what happens if I lose my medical, and I'm hoping I can make a strong presentation to a technology company (my BS is in Comp Sci) that develops aviation software. I'm also going to be pursuing an aviation management degree, although I'd really like to do an MBA. That goal would be to go work for a consulting firm if crap hit the fan.

To back MICK up, I also found it very difficult to find any decent work after leaving the airlines.

In six months I got two interviews (one for mailroom in an advertising firm, one for Comcast technician), two job offers without interviews (part time delivery for a deli and part time researcher for background checks), and a lot of questions why I would want to do something else.

By the way, the mailroom people never called back. I went with Comcast. Sucks crawling through attics in the summer, but working outside and near my home isn't all bad.

If you are not too macho to do it, get a degree in nursing. It makes me more money part time than flying full time for now. You do work your butt off during the shift, but if you only do it part time it is not bad. There's also a major nursing shortage right now that's supposed to be going on for at least 10 years. Not only that, but if you are a dude you have a better shot at a job because you are the "minority" in the profession. Best decision I ever made. Good Luck.

Last edited:
At grad school, if you're not a schmuck, you'll make contacts that can easily get you a job when you decide you don't want to fly or get furloughed. If you get an undergrad with no experience you can probably get a foot in the door lousy job but have the option of moving to better after a year or less. Of course, if you live in East Bumfu&K USA with no jobs available, it probably won't make any difference.

Good Luck in your studies.
Mr. I.

Don't know how much this will help, but....I had a BS from a pretty prestigious school and a Masters from a very well-known European school. I flew in the military, and when I got out and wanted to make $$ instead of fly, the degress really helped me to get into scome pretty lucrative spots. A few years ago I had a "change of life" and wanted to get back into flying, which I did at the bargain basement end, ie seasonal stuff and smaller freight. In the meantime, have looked at other things when I got sick of eating ramen noodles, and the remarks are always the same---"You're a pilot now, not a businessman" or "Nice degress, but your current experience doesn't fall in line with what you studied." So, I end up bartending at t*tty bars to make ends meet at the end of the month---I'm sure some of my old professors, not to mention my classmates, would roll over in their graves! The up side is, I'm much happier poor and flying than I ever was well-off and sitting behind a desk. It all depends on what you want---I know I'll never be rich, and that doesn't scare me a bit---but I like being happy and I want that to continue. Good luck.

My best advice is to not wait until you lose your job in aviation to have a plan B. A degree is nice, but you need to start someting before you find yourself out of work. Best thing to do is to build a business on the side. Many of us own rental property. Others have invested in other kinds small business. As the only certainty in aviation is unemployment it's wise to have something on the side to keep you going through the difficult times. I can tell you first hand that it saved me.

Latest resources

Back