Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Radialboy

The Older the Better
Any one out there who has worked for them?

I'm thinking about rolling on down there as a DC-3 Captain. I've flown Part 135 at a DC-3 Operator before...

Just trying to find out if I should expect much of the same...or more!!!

Any info would be helpful!

"Radialboy"

Aye, FOUR STAR...They still in business.?

I never flew there, but my ex-wife did way back in the mid 80s.
I knew most of the pilots there when they started up.

Don't have any current info, but if nothing changed they should be a fairly clean little outfit.

Several of the FOUR STAR guys I knew back then went to Flying Tigers, then to FedEx, all based on their DC-3 and cargo time..Now a-days they are MD-11 captains and pulling in $250K a year or more..A good start in life the DC-3 was.

Go for it...:cool:

Is that the outfit down in San Juan? Don't know much about them, but I have seen a bunch of their DC-3s there. I think it is a safe bet that they are still in business.

Is that the outfit down in San Juan?

Well, they were based in St. Thomas initally...Don't know that they are SJU these days..?

Speaking of, anybody ever worked for Soutern Flyer..?

My first DC-3 gig and also in Puerto Rico...1981 I was there..Flying US mail on a contract for Southern Air Transport, but employed by Southern Flyer.

A "real" job flying a classic machine would be wonderful; does anyone know who I should shoot a resume off to at Four Star. Is DC-3 or prior 135 time required to get on with them? The website only has a webpage "contact us" link, but no phone number or direct email address. Thanks.

Quite a few trips to TJSJ San Juan). It appears the DC-3 operation is quite active. Being a prior DC-3 Captain it was bringing back some vivid memories.

"San Juan tower N12345 request return to airport for high oil temp indications and engine shutdown"

I love it. Those boys are the real dogs flying the 3's over the atlantic in all conditions.

Later

CSY Mon said:
Aye, FOUR STAR...They still in business.?

I never flew there, but my ex-wife did way back in the mid 80s.
I knew most of the pilots there when they started up.

Don't have any current info, but if nothing changed they should be a fairly clean little outfit.

Several of the FOUR STAR guys I knew back then went to Flying Tigers, then to FedEx, all based on their DC-3 and cargo time..Now a-days they are MD-11 captains and pulling in $250K a year or more..A good start in life the DC-3 was.

Go for it...:cool:

CSY....Seems like we know some mutual people...the FedEx people who flew the 3's in STT. I flew there in 1986-87, so I'm wondering who your Ex-wife was.

As far as Four Star is concerned, they are stll very much in business. The original owner (McCarthy) passed away and his estate sold it to some bean counters from New England, I believe. (I heard it went cheap) If you want to work there, the best thing to do is fly down and walk in.

CSY....Seems like we know some mutual people...the FedEx people who flew the 3's in STT. I flew there in 1986-87, so I'm wondering who your Ex-wife was.

We were down there @ the same time.

Moved to STX from Alaska in 1984, I flew the "Sea Jet" for 6 months, then moved to STT where both wifey and me took a job with Paul Wikander of Virgin Air fame.
Then we both flew for Virgin Island International Airways (DC-3) for a few months.
After that little gig I walked across the terminal and got a left seat job for Aero Virgin Island and wifey went to 4-Star, right seat.

Now we are into 1986...I went back to Alaska for a contract hauling fish of the beaches in DC-3s, then back to STX where I got on with Eastern Metro and the ex-wife with Bohlke International Airways.

Who are we...? :D

CSY Mon said:
We were down there @ the same time.

Moved to STX from Alaska in 1984, I flew the "Sea Jet" for 6 months, then moved to STT where both wifey and me took a job with Paul Wikander of Virgin Air fame.
Then we both flew for Virgin Island International Airways (DC-3) for a few months.
After that little gig I walked across the terminal and got a left seat job for Aero Virgin Island and wifey went to 4-Star, right seat.

Now we are into 1986...I went back to Alaska for a contract hauling fish of the beaches in DC-3s, then back to STX where I got on with Eastern Metro and the ex-wife with Bohlke International Airways.

Who are we...? :D

Well, I still live there.....I think I saw your ex a few times...(Kinda hot blondie?) I worked for cranston in the 70's turning wrenches at Aero VI so I stayed far away from his hibiscus DC-3's.... I did fly with a guy named LaFever (R.I.P.) at Wikander's outfit on his 3's. I just can't seem to place you.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back