Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

utahpilot

Seeing the light
I heard a rumour that somewhere in SoCal sells a week of time in a Seneca (or maybe Seminole?) for around 3000 bucks, no limit on the hours you put on it? Does ANYONE know of this place?

man, with 3 or 4 others MEI's I could put a TON of time on it for very little per hour.

thanks in advance

N9103M said:
If they are renting it out, you can't fly it past 100 hr. But 3000 bucks for 100 hrs would be darn good ifor one week.

This is not necessarily true. As long as the company is not providing an instructor with the plane, a 100hr is not required. For just pure rental, a 100hr is NOT required.

I've heard of a Seneca outta Van Nuys for $99/hr if you buy a 20hr block.

Not sure what the name of the FBO is or anything but I've heard about it from some CFIs at my school.

If you find that twin for $3k/week, let us know. Thats a pretty darn good deal. I'd sleep in it with the engines running while resting between legs ;)

I would do some investigating first. That seems like an awful good deal. If they are really offering a multi that cheap, it is probably booked wayyyyy out. You might not get much time in during your week.

Wet or Dry?

There are only 168 hours in a week.

If you flew 8 hours a day for 7 days (8x7) that would be 56 hours.

I've never flown a Seneca but I'd guess it burns about 24 gallons an hour total. 24x56 = 1344 gallons. 1344 x 2.50 (a low price for avgas) = $3360.

$3000 + $3360 = $6360 spent for 56 hours of flying.

$6360 / 56hours = $113 per hour.

I guess that still not terrible, but do you really want to fly 8 hours a day for a week?

On second thought, maybe a lot of you would! :)

Here's what I'd bet (having leased an aircraft previously...)

That is probably $3000 a week, dry, without insurance. Three grand seems a bit steep for a week to me (a Twin Cessna I know of leases for $2500 a month, plus $40 an hour for Mx, dry, without insurance).

Non-owned multi-engine insurance will probably run each insured pilot about $1200, IF you can get it at all. Plus gas and oil and then we're probably talking about a reasonable number for the FBO.

Dan

I'm familiar with that Seneca at VNY. Knowing the difference between "ugly beat-up pile of junk" and "unairworthy," I would suggest that looking very very hard at any airplane before plopping a bunch of money into a block rate deal is a good idea. ("Heeeeyyyy! Money! Now we can do the 100 hour!" Not saying all schools or any particular school does this. . . :rolleyes:)

I know of a Baron that is available at VNY for a block rate of $129) an hour. If you can meet the insurance requirements, it might make a less stressful time-building experience.

www.airnav.com seems to have a large list of the various flight schools at Van Nuys.

Fly SAFE!
Jedi Nein

Non-owned multi-engine insurance will probably run each insured pilot about $1200, IF you can get it at all.

I don't think any of the insurers are selling non-owned multi engine coverage. I was looking about a month ago because I was going to rent an Aztruck for angel flights (the Aztruck was equipped for known ice). None of the insurance companies wanted anything to do with it. The only offer I heard was if you have 500 multi (and if you have 500 multi why would you be sleeping in a beat up Seneca anyway?).

Latest resources

Back