Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

$33,000 fine for Meigs destruction! Thats it?!?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

CitationXDriver

So the Daley Crime Syndicate, err, I mean the City of Chicago is getting fined a measily 33K for the illegal destruction of Meigs Field. Thats freaking ridiculous. They should be taking away federal funds earmarked for ORD and using them to rebuild Meigs. Daley even gets an opportunity to dispute the fine. All in the name of keeping downtown Chicago safe from terrorists. Its truly amazing how much safer Chicago is now that there are no nearby airports that the dreadful terrorists can stage attacks from. I mean MDW, come on, thats at least 3-4 minutes away at jet speeds. Thankfully Daley is on watch.

This was the initial fine issued in October. He's still under investigation for using money set aside for other airports expansion for the destruction of it..

He has to pay the $33K or request a hearing.

he's going to get hit with more..

Meanwhile, the FAA has a related case against the city for using $1.5 million in federal grants and airline passenger taxes to demolish Meigs, which has been turned into a city park and concert venue.

The $1.5 million was earmarked to make repairs at O'Hare. The FAA could order the city to repay any improperly used funds or impose penalties of up to $4.5 million--three times the amount of the diverted money.

The city has told the FAA that its use of federal funds to demolish Meigs was legal. The case is still open.

CitationXDriver said:
So the Daley Crime Syndicate, err, I mean the City of Chicago is getting fined a measily 33K for the illegal destruction of Meigs Field. Thats freaking ridiculous. They should be taking away federal funds earmarked for ORD and using them to rebuild Meigs. Daley even gets an opportunity to dispute the fine. All in the name of keeping downtown Chicago safe from terrorists. Its truly amazing how much safer Chicago is now that there are no nearby airports that the dreadful terrorists can stage attacks from. I mean MDW, come on, thats at least 3-4 minutes away at jet speeds. Thankfully Daley is on watch.

well unfortunately, the only real crime he's committed (pending outcome of verdict on the misdirected funds) is to have failed to give the required notice for the closing of an airport. Frankly, that's a pretty minor administrative violation. As much as we'd like to see him swinging by his short hairs, the 33K is proablay the maximum he can be fined for not abiding with the required closure notice.

The $4.5M fine for misuse of funds might sting a little more, but qute frankly, even if he loses that appeal, he'll consider it money well spent.

I'd be willing to bet that if you asked him before he closed the airport if he was willing to spend $4.53M for Meigs to go away, he would have said yes without hesitating.

It's a bit like finding some guy screwing your 19 y/o daughter in her car on the street in front of your house, as enraged as you are, and as much as you'd like to have him go to prison for life for all sort of crimes against humanity....the most he could possibly get stuck with is public indecency (maybe)

Last edited:
CitationXDriver said:
I mean MDW, come on, thats at least 3-4 minutes away at jet speeds. Thankfully Daley is on watch.
Nah, if I depart off of rwy 4, I can be there in less than 60 seconds...It would be a close race if you sent a 172 off of CGX and a jet off of MDW...they would be pretty close to tying as they slammed into buildings in downtown.

So instead of having class D airspace near downtown, now he has class E where radio communications are not required.

Latest resources

Back