• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

3000 FAA inspectors idle--be safe!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Hi I'm with the FAA and I'm here to...huh, what's that?? Nevermind I'm going home.

Furlough is for all safety inspectors not just safety team. A few safety inspectors called back without pay. Most are still at home. These are POI's and MX inspectors, check airmen, etc. This is all political to try and cause the most pain to the most people. If this lasts long enough it could have negative impact for all air carriers. Other than being sky cops, FAA have to sign off check airmen, approve training programs and procedures for new aircraft (hope your carrier doesn't have new aircraft on order this will delay all work to complete the certification and adding it to ops specs), need a ferry permit...good luck, no RVSM manuals can be done for the new jet some rich dude just bought, no parachute jump waivers being approved, no airshows, better find a DPE to renew your CFI if its due at the end of this month (or send in to American Flyers) because FSDO aren't doing any. Need special help with areomedical people? They are on skeleton crew right now. I wonder if carriers can get PRIA checks done with no FAA people working? Like em or hate em, eventually we'll all need help from them. Plan ahead if this crap lasts long everything is going to take a lot longer.

Last edited:
Furlough is for all safety inspectors not just safety team. A few safety inspectors called back without pay. Most are still at home. These are POI's and MX inspectors, check airmen, etc. This is all political to try and cause the most pain to the most people. If this lasts long enough it could have negative impact for all air carriers. Other than being sky cops, FAA have to sign off check airmen, approve training programs and procedures for new aircraft (hope your carrier doesn't have new aircraft on order this will delay all work to complete the certification and adding it to ops specs), need a ferry permit...good luck, no RVSM manuals can be done for the new jet some rich dude just bought, no parachute jump waivers being approved, no airshows, better find a DPE to renew your CFI if its due at the end of this month (or send in to American Flyers) because FSDO aren't doing any. Need special help with areomedical people? They are on skeleton crew right now. I wonder if carriers can get PRIA checks done with no FAA people working? Like em or hate em, eventually we'll all need help from them. Plan ahead if this crap lasts long everything is going to take a lot longer.
So what you're saying is once the government opens they won't have time to do line checks because of all the other stuff they have going on. Except, of course, on the day they all return to work--lines checks for everyone on their commute!

Latest resources

Back