300 furloughs UPS

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
U

UPS has hired approx 200 non union pilots. These pilots are considered "supervisors" and are not part of the IPA (our in house union). The perform duties such as training, linechecks, paperwork etc. The also sit reserve and operate many trips for ups under the guise of mgt emergency flying.
They are the ones who hold the place together and put the company ahead of themselves!

It is not uncommon for one to work in the office all day and then be called out that night to fill in for a union pilot if crew scheduling is short IPA crews.
Sounds like they are the ultimate team players.

I remember the Teamsters strike in '97 (I believe the pilots were on a sympathy strike?).

UPS management used every last bit of available chartered lift they could find...from on-demand DC-8/DC-9 AC down to every last available Falcon and Lear.

Crazy times back then. UPS was making a killing back then too. I wonder how far management will take it this time.

That will only last for so long. If there are no drivers the packages won't move. They tried to cover our strike with management that didn't work to well for them. I can tell you that drivers are being laid off due to the low volume.

they will not furlough one ups pilot, mark my word-- 54 million in cost savings is nothing.

What makes you think this is about money? Cutting jobs to save money is one thing but, cutting jobs due to being overstaffed is another. I believe what you have is a staffing problem, not a money problem.

What makes you think this is about money? Cutting jobs to save money is one thing but, cutting jobs due to being overstaffed is another. I believe what you have is a staffing problem, not a money problem.

Yeah, we have a staffing problem. We ran out of reserves on the Bus last week and we had to JA and use Emergency Mgt Flying. Let's drop 300 IPA guys and see how this works out before peak.

Latest resources

Back