• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

30 in 7 ?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
As long as there is no revision to the schedule part way through the day. If your schedule is revised then you have to relook at everything.

hey WMUSIGPI any news on the rest of the avro's going to the desert or was it just mgt's doom and gloom to try and take our 17%?

well I just flew one today so the 12-20 date was false. Supposedly all 9 that went to Arizona came back with better lease deals and 9 others were sent out to replace them (really cost effective huh). There was a newspaper story my dad showed me saying NWA guaranteed Aspen we'd continue service throughout the ski season this year so that has to keep them around til April or so. After that who knows... I'll be on the street by then.

I might be misunderstanding you guys and I might be misunderstanding how the 30 in 7 works (doesnt apply to me anymore).

You cannot fly or be scheduled to fly more than 30 hours in a 7 calender day period. So if you are on day 7 (you have had your 1 in 7 break) and in the past 6 days you have flown 25.5 hours, you can only be scheduled to fly 4.5 hours this day. Lets say you have 4 legs that day, legs 1, 2 and 3 are 1 hour legs and leg 4 is the 1.5 hour leg. Legs 1 and 2 block 1 hour each, but you are delayed on leg 3 and block 1.2. I understand it as you can not legally take leg 4 since it is blocked for 1.5 and that would put you "scheduled" over 30 hours in 7 by .2.
FARs said:
121.471 Flight time limitations and rest requirements: All flight crewmembers.(a) No certificate holder conducting domestic operations may schedule any flight crewmember and no flight crewmember may accept an assignment for flight time in scheduled air transportation or in other commercial flying if that crewmember's total flight time in all commercial flying will exceed—
(1) 1,000 hours in any calendar year;
(2) 100 hours in any calendar month;
(3) 30 hours in any 7 consecutive days;
(4) 8 hours between required rest periods.

DC8 Flyer said:
I might be misunderstanding you guys and I might be misunderstanding how the 30 in 7 works (doesnt apply to me anymore).

You cannot fly or be scheduled to fly more than 30 hours in a 7 calender day period. So if you are on day 7 (you have had your 1 in 7 break) and in the past 6 days you have flown 25.5 hours, you can only be scheduled to fly 4.5 hours this day. Lets say you have 4 legs that day, legs 1, 2 and 3 are 1 hour legs and leg 4 is the 1.5 hour leg. Legs 1 and 2 block 1 hour each, but you are delayed on leg 3 and block 1.2. I understand it as you can not legally take leg 4 since it is blocked for 1.5 and that would put you "scheduled" over 30 hours in 7 by .2.

You can fly the last leg as long as your schedule was not changed during the day. "legal to start, legal to finish" applies to the day as scheduled, not actual, unless a change was made to the schedule.

You cannot fly or be scheduled to fly more than 30 hours in a 7 calender day period.

No certificate holder conducting domestic operations may schedule any flight crewmember

You added wordsto the reg. It doesn't say anything about actual flying.

Your argument that you have to look at the 30 in 7 rule for every leg as opposed to every day (why not every trip or every month for that matter) has been tried.

The 24 hour look back rule has almost identical language but the FAA in the infamous Whitlow Letter ruled that it was per leg and not the whole schedule. I believe that the FAA would have ruled similarly had the Whitlow letter not set off a crap-storm of controversy. I think it was more a political decision than a legal/safety one when they chose to leave the 30/7 and other flight time rules under the old intepretation.

no flight crewmember may accept an assignment for flight time during the 24 consecutive hours preceding the scheduled completion of any flight segment

They just need to change these ridicules rules.

The main thing they need to change is when rest begins. If they do nothing else remove the local tansportation requirement loop hold.

This loop hold is exploited by most of the airlines. The Airline I currently work for makes us taxi the airplanes back to the hanger at the end of the night (all day trips), this 15 minute taxi is not considered part of rest. However, at my previous airline we landed in Whtie Plains NEW YORK and driven 45 minutes to our hotel in CONNECTICUT each way. 90 minutes of "local transportation" during an eight hour overnight (which was common) was ridicules. The fact that it is legal is absurd. The only reason the airline changed it was because of all the fatigue calls. The new hotel 15 minutes from the airport was not much of an improvement because the van service sucked. It wasn't unusual to wait 30 minutes for the van on both sides of the trip.

later

Latest resources

Back