Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

30+ hours, I had a terrible landing, wasn't even a landing!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Sounds like you started chasing the flare (porpousing) Sp??
Next time that happens hold the yoke a little aft to stop the porpousing and be prepared to go around.

Wait until you do it with 200 people in the back. Then you'll know what feeling bad really feels like.

Shake it off. It may be your first, but it won't be your last.

Yep, even the pros do it from time to time..I remember a couple years(maybe 8?..lol) years ago when coming into KSAV that the landing was hard enough to jar open almost all of the overhead bins :eek: While deplaning the co-pilot, who was FP, was profusely apologizing to us and stated he had dialed in the wrong barametric pressure which led him to believe he was 20feet higher then he actually was..

Don't sweat it. All pilots have big egos and we all try to fake like we were born great pilots. The truth is we were all a little nervous when we first started out. We all bounced and ballooned.

Now get your a$$ back out there and try it again!!

No big deal man. I had a student just nailing every single landing...we're talking from discovery flight right out of the box, this kid could flat out fly and LAND the airplane. Greased it on every time.

Know what? I wouldn't let him solo until he d*cked up a few.

The thing I want to see in that situation is JUST what you did...firewall it and go around.

The fact that you brought the flaps up all at once isn't much of a concern either. Did you miss a checklist item? Yeah... Does it happen at your point in the game? Yeah... Does it happen to 50,000 hour pilots? Yeah...

What did you learn?
1. I don't have to land every time.
2. If it starts to go TU, go around.
3. Always use the checklist.
4. It wouldn't hurt to brief a go-around upon turning final so that procedures (flaps in increments) is in your head, just like you brief "what if SHTF on takeoff?" every time you fly.

You learned at least four things from one experience....4:1 is pretty damn good if ya ask me.

Keep at it!

-mini

I had a similar experience with about the same amount of time you have, the only difference was that it was a severe crosswind gust that came literally two feet from touching the left wing. I had full deflection as soon as I recognized what was going on and it was almost too late.

Talk about crapping yourself. Scared the bejeevers out of me. You did a good job by going around, a fully developed porpoise will likely cause you to prang the nosewheel and or the prop if your not careful.

Pantherjon said:
....and stated he had dialed in the wrong barametric pressure which led him to believe he was 20feet higher then he actually was..

WTF? Who looks at the altimeter on landing? Radar altimeter maybe..but that doesn't have anything to do with barometric pressure. Am I missing something?

Just a lame excuse I think.

I wouldn't sweat it. You got out of the situation, and hopefully you learned a good lesson on how to (and not to) handle the situation in the future.

I made a bounced landing on my first solo (second landing!). I was doing touch n go's on a 4,000 ft runway, and when I came in I hit the nose wheel first on the runway, and at that point I felt like I was along for the ride. The aircraft was porpoising on it's own, and no matter what input I gave the controls, it wasn't responding. Then about three quarters of the way down the runway I remember the aircraft starting to veer off towards the side where I anticipated the next bounce would be off the side of the runway in the dirt. So instinctively I gunned the power full throttle, and noticed I was able to get a decent amount of control, so I held off the airplane from hitting as long as I could (probably over the dirt at this time), and eventually the aircraft started climbing back out under control before hitting the dirt.

I'll never forget that moment. It had happened to me one time before while practicing touch n goes with m instructor, but he had taken control of the airplane and hadn't taught me how to solve the problem.

I've done it one other time since, and a quick reaction of full power, and holdin the airplane up in a slight nose high attitude worked beautifully and quickly before it got out of hand.

You're one of us now... :)

8inMan said:
Just a lame excuse I think.

Exactly.

I would maybe buy it, if the Radar Altimeter(RAT) screwed up. Since, people get used to certian cues, and all of a sudden there gone, it can throw you into a tizzy.

Just off of IOE, the RAT decided to go TU. Well since I was new, I wasn;t so great on the landings, when I never heard the altitude call outs, I was slow to start my flare.....then boooooooooooooooooooooingggggggggg.

I learned a valuable lesson that day. Stay in the cockpit after a bad landing.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back