3 things that cause a stall?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Many things cause a stall, but clearly three are at the top of the list:

1. Any woman asking if she looks fat in a dress. Gauranteed source of stalling, stuttering, stammering, and freezing, which occurs when one is relegated to fighting the dog for a piece of the blanket in his leaky backyard house.

2. Arriving on the freeway behind the LA chapter of Hells Angels, one's horn gets stuck blaring. One attempts to extricate one's self from the situation, and outrun the bikers. One's car bogs down; gauranted to stall at a time like this.

3. Drinking caffiene and flying for any period of time, particularly over barren country where no chance of landing is offered. Exiting the airplane enroute to the gentleman's (or ladies) facility provides the appearance of a cross between a bad day at the superbowl and a delicate rendition of the nut cracker meets swann lake, while humming "anchor's aweigh" in falsetto and uttering obscenities to the end of "get the #!!@X?!!X@# out of my way!" This act, enroute from the cockpit to the restroom, out of deference to the ultimate destination when one leave the cockpit, is called quite simply, "stalling."

Angle of attack is far down the list. Airplanes stall when surface friction divests the wing boundary layer surface of it's requisite coating of pixie dust. The soloution involves counting to ten in latin and eating a roasted turnip while praying for change. It could work.

avbug said:
1. Any woman asking if she looks fat in a dress. Gauranteed source of stalling, stuttering, stammering, and freezing, which occurs when one is relegated to fighting the dog for a piece of the blanket in his leaky backyard house.

Talk about needing to be ready with the emergency procedures, a stall in this situation is almost always fatal if your not ready and paying proper attention.

I agree with all that the only way to cause a stall is to exceed the critical angle of attack. However the "gist" of the question is probably what factors the pilot do or experience that would change the stall speed. Not a trick question at all IMHO. There are several of them listed below. I have probably forgot something, but this is an off the cuff answer. BTW, the FAA FSDO in this region is really expecting CFI initial canditidates to have a working knowledge of these factors. Here they are:
1. Bank angle ( Load factor)
2. CG location
3. Congiguation (flaps, gear)
4. Power Setting
5. Turbulence
6. Gross Weight
7. Ice
8. Other atmospheric conditions

Wow! Avbug, Great humor (LMAO)

But actually, and I may be wrong*, but I seem to remember way, way back about "stalls at the one (and only one) critical angle of attack" is actually a little bit of a simplification. I think I remember airspeed, weight/cg, AND AoA. I think the AoA changes very slightly depending on airspeed and weight/cg. An insignificant amount, at least on small, slow speed airplanes, like less than one degree, but still has an effect which might be larger at much higher speeds.

Like, at really higher speeds, airflow seperation occurs at slightly lower angles of attack.

Anybody?

nosehair said:
Wow! Avbug, Great humor (LMAO)

But actually, and I may be wrong*, but I seem to remember way, way back about "stalls at the one (and only one) critical angle of attack" is actually a little bit of a simplification. I think I remember airspeed, weight/cg, AND AoA. I think the AoA changes very slightly depending on airspeed and weight/cg. An insignificant amount, at least on small, slow speed airplanes, like less than one degree, but still has an effect which might be larger at much higher speeds.

Like, at really higher speeds, airflow seperation occurs at slightly lower angles of attack.

Anybody?

That makes since and I think I remember hearing that before too.

Latest resources

Back