• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

UndauntedFlyer

Ease the nose down
3 of the Biggest Lies in Aviation

1st LIE: You’ve got to be really good to fly a JET.

2nd LIE: Tailwheel airplanes are DANGEROUS and thus too HARD TO FLY.

3rd LIE: Pilots trained under Part 141 can fly rings around those trained under Part 61.

The above statement and what it suggests is simply untrue. And in fact, for the Commercial Certificate, just the opposite is true.

The Part 61 trained pilot will be more capable simply because he/she has 250-flight hours of experience instead of the Part 141 minimum of only 190-hours. It just makes no sense that a 190-hour pilot (60 less hours) will be equal, everything else being the same. In aviation there is nothing like real (behind the wheel) EXPERIENCE. And at the lower levels (less than 500-hours) experience, more training and more practice mean proportionally more proficiency.

And in final thought, just think how proficient the 141 pilots would be if he/she had 60 more hours of training. More multiengine training to ATP standards, tailwheel training, and some acro training too. From the same school, more training ALWAYS means more PROFICIENCY.

Comments/Questions

I concur.

I will say that it does take more work to takeoff or land a taildragger than a tricycle gear aircraft.

UndauntedFlyer said:

3rd LIE: Pilots trained under Part 141 can fly rings around those trained under Part 61.

The above statement and what it suggests is simply untrue. And in fact, for the Commercial Certificate, just the opposite is true.

The Part 61 trained pilot will be more capable simply because he/she has 250-flight hours of experience instead of the Part 141 minimum of only 190-hours. It just makes no sense that a 190-hour pilot (60 less hours) will be equal, everything else being the same. In aviation there is nothing like real (behind the wheel) EXPERIENCE. And at the lower levels (less than 500-hours) experience, more training and more practice mean proportionally more proficiency.

And in final thought, just think how proficient the 141 pilots would be if he/she had 60 more hours of training. More multiengine training to ATP standards, tailwheel training, and some acro training too. From the same school, more training ALWAYS means more PROFICIENCY.

Comments/Questions

What's with all the posts about the "biggest lies"? No one cares about the 141/61 deal, there are good pilots and bad pilots out of each catagory. Let it die, man.

The amount of total time a guy has in NO WAY directly relates to his skill level as a pilot, and whether they trained 61 or 141 SURE doesnt. I know a couple of fairly high time pilots who, in my opinion, cant fly their way out of a paper sack with one end open. By the same token, the son of a good friend of mine just recently recieved his private. He's been around aviation all his life, and exhibits piloting skills that are far beyond what his rating or total time says it should be. I wouldnt hesitate to jump in an airplane with him and fly anywhere in the country. Total "time" doesnt in anyway equal total "skill". That's all I'll say about that issue.

buffettck said:
Sounds like someone's at a Delta Connection Academy type school...

Not even close, buddy. Former squid, I see. Which ship?

Kitty Hawk, 94-97, as an AS3 SE mech. Had some good times on her!! What years for you?

Last edited:
same bunch of numbnuts on the enlisted side, I know what you mean. I guess it's too hard for certain people to do as told and shut up.

I hear that the Kitty is going downhill fast. You probably know first hand, though. When it left San Dog, it was a real nice piece of work. I've heard though a fellow employee (who was also on the Hawk about the time you were) that it is really in bad shape. Too bad, I believe that it's the only remaining diesel carrier left.

UndauntedFlyer said:

Comments/Questions

After 12,000 hours I agree with you wholeheartedly.

Consider this...when you go to your fist job interview do you really think that the employer cares whether you were trained under 141 or 61? I have never even heard of it being asked. The certificate issued makes no reference to part 61 or 141 training.

Same with a type rating whether you get your type at Flight Safety or an established carrier means nothing. A type is a type is a type.

There are people at part 141 and part 61 schools that have no business flying. It is strictly up to the individual and how much time and effort one puts into their training. I've have worked for both outfits and I've been scared by both. IMHO the only difference is how much someone is willing to pay for the training.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back