2nd Segment Climb - % Just Makes No Sense

AZ Typed

Hobby's Flyin
Total Time
Alright. I've had enough. I'm confused and I need help. I do not understand the 2nd segment climb requirements, especially since I can't find any airport charts that list climb gradients as a %. I've tried to teach myself - but I'm missing something very basic and doing more harm than good at this point.

Do you know of any good books / reference on this topic out there?

I'm confused in how to figure it out, what it gives, when it's a factor (I think I know that one, but who knows), why it's important (think I know that one, too...but likely somebody knows better out there). Any insight into this confusing topic would be greatly appreacited!!!

Humbly...AZT

Dangerkitty

Total Time
AZ Typed said:
Alright. I've had enough. I'm confused and I need help. I do not understand the 2nd segment climb requirements, especially since I can't find any airport charts that list climb gradients as a %. I've tried to teach myself - but I'm missing something very basic and doing more harm than good at this point.

Do you know of any good books / reference on this topic out there?

I'm confused in how to figure it out, what it gives, when it's a factor (I think I know that one, but who knows), why it's important (think I know that one, too...but likely somebody knows better out there). Any insight into this confusing topic would be greatly appreacited!!!

Humbly...AZT

I have a great manual that explains all that performance stuff very very well and puts it in plain english. When I get to the hangar tommorrow I will type out what it says for your clarification.

Don't feel bad. If you dont have to deal with that stuff almost monthly or even weekly it is very easy to forget or get confused with.

Makesheepnervus

Pheasant Plucker
Total Time
8,000+
A good short cut if you need to convert the "Ft/Nm" to a gradient is to use the "Gradient to Rate" Table in the front of the Terminal section of the Jepps, take the ft/nm on the left and then go across the ground speed columns to the 100 column, the number in that column is your gradient X 100.
Example; 200 ft/nm = 333 (3.3%)

Or you could do the math; Rise/Run X 100
Where Rise = ft/nm, Run = 6,000 ft (1nm)

Example; 200/6000 x 100 = 3.3%

bafanguy

Total Time
Thre was an excellent thread on this recently...just can't remember exactly where it is. The subject was covered in detail with masterful contributions by leadsled.

CelticCitation

Larry Wannabe
Total Time
6 ish
Search "Second Segment Climb." Should be part of all initials and recurrents.

FalconPilot69

Total Time
Some