2nd Jobs for Regional F/O's

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Meiguy

I'm at a point where I'm starting to consider moving towards a regional f/o position. I'm currently working as a part time f/o for a 135 company and am currently having trouble paying off my bills and loans as is working partime as an f/o and having another part time non-flying job. My f/o position alone makes more yearly than does that of a regional f/o's first year, which of course isn't saying a whole lot. I was wondering how all the regional f/o's out there got by their first years at the regional. What kind of other jobs have you had that enabled you to do both and make enough money to live off of. Just trying to get some more ideas. As is there is no way I can live off 17K for a year and pay off loans, bills, ect...I guess airline flying might not be the way to go these days.

MeiGuy

If you're talking student loans, you can defer them if you need to. I deferred them for as long as I could, you still pay interest, but don't have a monthly payment to make.

Tending bar is a good option, you can pick up shifts and get a lot of money under the table. Bars seem to have pretty flexible hours as well...

Good luck, and welcome to the revolution..........

Palerider957 said:
MeiGuy

If you're talking student loans, you can defer them if you need to. I deferred them for as long as I could, you still pay interest, but don't have a monthly payment to make.

Tending bar is a good option, you can pick up shifts and get a lot of money under the table. Bars seem to have pretty flexible hours as well...

Good luck, and welcome to the revolution..........

Substitute teach on days off. Bartend at night or work in a hotel where there is a lot of airline traffic (they understand pilot schedules).

Thanks for the replies guys. I'll give you a little more insight. My second job is working at a restaurant. And I do make decent money when I work, but I really don't know my schedule to far in advance. Charter trips pop up with a weeks notice through a couple of hours. Being part-time means I can say no if I have other obligations....however who wants to work at the restaurant when I can fly and make more money. The restaurant does provide flexibility and it's getting hard to show the restaurant that I care equally about the two jobs...because I don't. I'm also trying to figure out ways to make better use of my time at the FBO's. I mean T.V. and newspapers and coffee are great and all but I hate wasting 6 hours waiting for the passengers when I feel I could be using that time to be making money somehow. I guess I just need to be creative and be able to make money using a cell phone and a laptop.

And as far as the loans. Well I defered the one I could and the other was underferable. Sucks because I'm paying a hefty some on this one loan with no other option. Still looking for a way to consolidate and spread the payment out; but this only stalls my problem.

Thanks guys

Meiguy

Good luck

Not as easy as they are making it sound. You should have asked about a part time job while you are on reserve. When you start flying for an airline as an FO, your gonna be on reserve. And the way things are today it will probably last a while.

I got hired by a regional last august and am still on freaking reserve. That means at least 20 days a month the airline owns me for 14 hours a day. Makes it kind of hard to find the jobs mentioned.

You need to be looking for the type of job flexibility that would work for you even now. Internet or something. if you find anything like that please let me know.

I need a job I can do from anywhere, anytime, and be called away for days at a time.

Good luck.

Reserve is like getting to fulfill you life's dream at the price of being a slave.

Yeah, yeah when I get some senority, I too will call it just 'paying your dues'.

The reserves are a good deal, although if you are heavy reserves, plan on being called up until the war on terror is over. But it pays well

Re: Good luck

spike said:

You need to be looking for the type of job flexibility that would work for you even now. Internet or something. if you find anything like that please let me know.

I need a job I can do from anywhere, anytime, and be called away for days at a time.

Spike makes a good point about job flexibility. Maybe you have a friend that owns a business and understands your schedule. In the past I had two part time jobs working for friends that knew I could use a few bucks and also knew I'd do a good job for them while I was there. They were commercial lawn mowing and grocery shelf stocking. Both of them always needed extra help and I could just show up and make my own hours.

Latest resources

Back