299 line check

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

fr8r

Does anyone have the definite answer for this? If you are typed, 293 and 297 current, is a 299 required to log PIC time in an aircraft? Basically, can you log PIC if you are not the signing captain? I have read some posts on this, but there are several opinions. I read the regs as that it is legal to log PIC for logging purposes.

My understanding is this: If you are typed, current, and have your 299 on your 8410, but not the PIC on record for the flight, then you may log PIC as sole manipulator of the controls per the FAA if in fact you are the one flying the a/c. However, some future employers may take exception to this so it is best to make a notation in your logbook that you are PIC according to 'Sole Manipulator'. This makes it easier to explain in your next interview.

Last edited:
It is my understanding that you DO need the 299 to act, and log it as PIC on a 135 flight. I suppose you could log PIC on the empty legs. When the company designates a PIC, that is who gets to log it when you are 135.

Let me ask this in more simple terms. Do you need a 299 line check in order to log PIC time on 135 (with pax onboard) legs? In this scenario, the designated PIC has done a 299. So, can the FO (with 293 & 297) fly left seat and log PIC time with pax onboard?

You can log anything you want, but if you are not signing for the airplane you are not PIC in the 135 world.

You can log anything you want, but if you are not signing for the airplane you are not PIC in the 135 world.

Okay, I understand that the 299 check makes you the signing captain, but can PIC still be LOGGED? The 297 is a PIC check too.

Okay, I understand that the 299 check makes you the signing captain, but can PIC still be LOGGED? The 297 is a PIC check too.

Like someone else said, it seems that future employer normally do not recognize it as PIC if you did not "sign" for the aircraft.

I have a Type in the a/c, am current, and have a 293, 297, and a 299, however, I am NOT the Captain, I am the F.O., per the companies 135 logsheet. Therefore, I log PIC, but only as 'Sole Manipulator'.

I have a Type in the a/c, am current, and have a 293, 297, and a 299, however, I am NOT the Captain, I am the F.O., per the companies 135 logsheet. Therefore, I log PIC, but only as 'Sole Manipulator'.

What if you didn't have the 299? Would you still be logging PIC for the same reason? (i.e. "sole manipulator")

The 299 line check ride by the FAA can be done for a PIC and/or SIC check. In my case, I did both and therefore, am actually 'Captain qualified' on the a/c per the FAA for Part 135 Ops. However, I am not the 'Captain of record' when dispatched, therefore, I am not the Captain on the a/c (the company acutally calls me a 'co-capt' but I am paid and treated as an F.O.). Therefore, I only log the flight time that I am actually manipulating the controls (which is 50% of the time anyway) as PIC -but only as 'sole manipulator'.

To answer your question however, if I only did or passed the SIC portion of the 299 ride but not the PIC portion, then NO, I would not log ANY of my flight time as PIC under Part 135. If however, we were dispatched as a Part 91 flight, then I would log my actual flight time as 'Sole Manipulator' PIC since I am typed and current and the 299 PIC line check would not apply. However, now we are splitting hairs a little bit, LOL.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back