• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Wings Level

Air marshals' resignations flood TSA, managers say

By Blake Morrison, USA TODAY

At least 250 federal air marshals have left the top-secret program, and documents obtained by USA TODAY suggest officials are struggling to handle what two managers call a flood of resignations.

Sources within the program say marshals are quitting at a rate of about a dozen a week. And some days, scores of marshals are <b> calling in sick to get a break from flight schedules they say are making them ill </b>, sources say. One memo, dated Aug. 16 and sent to managers by the program's operations control center, says some marshals could face "flights for 10 consecutive days."

A Transportation Department spokesman said neither Transportation Security Administration head James Loy nor air marshal Director Tom Quinn would comment.

In a letter to the editor published today in USA TODAY, Loy says fewer than 80 air marshals have quit. And a written statement released Wednesday by the Transportation Department said the "traveling public should rest assured that the Federal Air Marshal Service is providing the largest, highest caliber, best trained and most professional protective force in American aviation history."

After Sept. 11, putting more undercover officers aboard flights was billed as a key to preventing hijackings. Although the precise number of marshals is classified, sources say as many as 6,000 have been hired since Sept. 11. Before the terrorist attacks, fewer than 50 marshals flew.

More than two dozen current and former air marshals or supervisors in 13 regional offices, Washington, and the training center in Atlantic City say top managers lowered hiring standards to meet staffing quotas. <b>They also say marshals are working 12- to 16-hour days and falling asleep or getting sick on flights. </b>

The Transportation Department statement said "any private sector manager" would be "rewarded" for the program's attrition rate, which it says is "less than one%."

But program managers appear to have been ill-prepared for the influx of resignations. One e-mail, dated July 17 and sent to managers by the program's human resources office, talks about the need to appoint an employee relations assistant, "given the volume of resignations we have been receiving." Another memo, sent from the operations control center, cites a "long list of notifications for transfers and resignations."

"We were promised the Garden of Eden. We were given hell," one current marshal said. "If they don't make major changes fast, they're going to have no one left but the bottom of the barrel."

The Transportation Department statement said none of the marshals' complaints, "individually or collectively, constitute a crisis."

It seems like pilot are just as rigorous with regards to duty time and days away from home. What makes an air marshal job more difficult than a pilot's? They don't even have to invest the many thosands of dollars to obtain the required job training and experience. In addition, they make more money than most pilots.
So why are they quiting?

Wings Level said:
So why are they quiting?
Because human nature wasn't considered when they dreamed up this job. Who's going to be able to stay alert for hours and hours with nothing happening, be away from your family, etc. I knew it would happen.

It will be the same net result as with the airport security. Massive expenditure overruns and a decline in effectiveness will be the result of federalizing the "professional security" personnel. The bone heads who run the fed govt don't work logically, they are driven by political correctness, perception and feel. It too will eventually fall apart and/or decline to a level far worse than pre-9/11.

In addition to reasonable and effective screening at the airport, the next logical step in preventing someone from gaining control of the airliner cockpit is to arm the professionals who are already there, in charge and alert.

Last edited:
These guys job consists of being an airline passenger all day long (12-16 hour days of that?!) as their cover, while also being a law enforcement officer when needed. Have you ever flown from across the atlantic, you know its a long and miserable flight. The one across the pacific is worse. It's about 12 hours, on a cramped jet full of people. And Airlines are cutting back on the food and beverages. Its not uncommon to get sick on long/crowded flights because of so many people from many different places all breathing each others recycled air.

Imagine having to fly as a passenger in those circumstances all day long, 10 days a stretch, as much as 16 hours a day. They couldn't pay me enough to do that job. I think its a disaster waiting to happen. - one of these days, an air marshal is going to snap. Suppose an air marshal's wife left him the day before.Combine a personal problem like that, and add a full day of :
Screaming children
cramped seats
long toilet lines
odorous/flatulent passengers nearby
loud,obnoxious, drunks nearby
people kicking the back of your seat
tedium
not having been home in days
$%#! poor service
Getting a nasty cold from flying
BEING THE ONLY PERSON ON THE PLANE WITH A GUN.

Law Enforcement Officers are only human. And lets face it, being a full-time airline passenger as part of your job is enough to make anyone snap. It's only a matter of time before one of them does!

I hadn't sat in the back for quite a while until I had to deadhead the other day. Screamers all around me and i couldn't even drink!
What a nightmare. I can't imagine having to do that as a profession.
Hats off to the guys who can do it. But if one's not on my a/c and the $hit goes down...well, hopefully the trusty katy bar will hold up long enough for me to grab the battle ax.

Pay!

Also, remember that these guys are not hourly, they are contract. That means they are salary. So if they work 30 extra hours a week (read - 70 hours), Oh well! They get to suck it up and still get the 40 hours of pay. Great deal!. You know, they could unionize and go on strike! Oh wait, they are gov employees and cant strike! Guess the only thing that they can do is quit. Now what? :eek:

One thing to keep in mind about FAM scheduling (and this from a friend of mine who is a FAM - completed the real FAM course, and not the quickie course without the hard firearms test), is that all of their flight schedules (called missions) are built manually!

Can you imagine if your airlines schedules were built - and flight followed manually!

"Also, remember that these guys are not hourly, they are contract. That means they are salary. So if they work 30 extra hours a week (read - 70 hours), Oh well! They get to suck it up and still get the 40 hours of pay. Great deal!. You know, they could unionize and go on strike! Oh wait, they are gov employees and cant strike! Guess the only thing that they can do is quit. Now what? "
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't know anything about the air marshall pay setup, but virtually all government employees are paid overtime. Most are on salary.

Latest resources

Back