250 Below 10K in Foreign FIRs

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Tripod

Been out of the international arena for a few years. Seem to remember something about 250 below 10K being strictly a U.S. thing (I know you can zoom when more than 12 miles offshore in the U.S. FIR.

Anyone know for sure if this carries over to Europe, Asia, SAM, etc.? Is 250 below 10K observed everywhere? I suspect it differs from country to country. I've perused the Jepps text for the definitive answer and just can't put my finger on it.

Figured some of the International folks on the board would have the quick and dirty.

Thanks

I can't think of too many places where this restriction does not apply.

Most places will "cancell speed below 10k" if trafic premits.

Hope this helps

speed below 10

:cool:Depends on is what is listed in the countries AIP. In Singapore there were no speed restrictions for departing aircraft, but the 250 rule existed for arrival aircraft. Good Luck

Xman is correct, within the country their AIPs spell this out, but 250 KIAS below FL100 always works. Outside of 12 miles there are no restrictions below FL100.

In some countries, like the UK, ATC can authorize "no speed restrictions" and you are off to the races. I have seen this quite a bit with London radar during departures and sometimes while inbound on a STAR over the English Channel.

Besides Europe I am only familiar with NW Asia and N. Africa and they are similar to Europe.

speed

If you are >12 miles off the coast of Florida and you are under US ATC control below 10,000 does the 250 kts restriction apply? Just wondering.

CUB

That's been discussed, can't quote the reg but the consensus is there is no speed restriction outside of 12 miles.

No speed restrictions beyond 12 miles from the coastline. This is oceanic and falls under ICAO rules of the road. Pedal to the metal.

Check 6 said:
No speed restrictions beyond 12 miles from the coastline. This is oceanic and falls under ICAO rules of the road. Pedal to the metal.

In fact, a lot of the time, ATC expects and likes it when you go fast out there.

Tripod said:
Been out of the international arena for a few years. Seem to remember something about 250 below 10K being strictly a U.S. thing (I know you can zoom when more than 12 miles offshore in the U.S. FIR.

Anyone know for sure if this carries over to Europe, Asia, SAM, etc.? Is 250 below 10K observed everywhere? I suspect it differs from country to country. I've perused the Jepps text for the definitive answer and just can't put my finger on it.

Figured some of the International folks on the board would have the quick and dirty.

Thanks

Its not as strict as it is in the US but you still need to get approved for 250 under 10K by ATC.
Although my understanding of of doing 250 below 10K, that if you are operating as 121/135. you must be approved in the Ops Specs by the FAA to do so in the first place.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back