• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

250 Below 10

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
In Canada, it used to be that if you were cleared to an altitude of 10,000 or above, you could accelerate to your climb speed. I am not sure if it is still in effect.

Is there a speed restriction for departing aricraft in Canada? I was given a max forward speed once below 10,000 and was not sure at the time. Later I asked several people and most said you could go as fast as you want when departing and that was clearly spelled out in the CAR's. I don't have a copy of the Canadian regs so not 100% on this one.

From the USA side they rewrote 91.703 awhile back to allow for it (excluding 91.117(a) from the requirements). Prior to that change in Feb 2008 technically it would have been an FAA violation to accept. There was some big posting over it last year when the change was made.

Military flies a mix of DOD Regs and FAR's When a FAR doesn't apply there is most likely a MIl Reg that does. Besides, it isn't like FAA can take away a MIL pilots ticket becuse one is not requred to fly in the military. That is a prime example of a FAA reg that does not apply. Type ratings is another.

Is there a speed restriction for departing aricraft in Canada? I was given a max forward speed once below 10,000 and was not sure at the time. Later I asked several people and most said you could go as fast as you want when departing and that was clearly spelled out in the CAR's. I don't have a copy of the Canadian regs so not 100% on this one.
If you are on a published departure you are correct. I found it twice in the Jepps but I haven't been able to find it since. Has it been removed or does anyone know where it is?

If your aircraft performance requires you to go faster than 250 below 10K you should tell the controller your expected speed whether in a climb or a descent.
Another example on departure if you are under Class B (<=200 Kts) and your a/c performance requires a faster speed for safety of flight just tell the controller your expected speed and fly it.

Did it all the time in the 747 climb out.

Latest resources

Back