• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

24 hours from being blind...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Before Lasik I wore contacts and from what it sounds like I was playing with fire, first started out on the 14 day contacts and I remember several times being too lazy to take them out at night, told my doc that my eyes were itchy and she educated me, hope your sight recovers quickly.

I had the exact same thing happen to my eyes. It only took one night of accidentally sleeping in them and the next day I could barely open my eyes because they were so sensitive to light. Couldn't go to work for at least 2-3 days.

Try those night & day contact lenses. You can literally wear em' for like 24 days or so nonstop (with the occasional clean every so often)...real comfortable too.

I wear the night n days. (after this thread, thinking about switching back to glasses). You can leave them in for thirty days. I've been wearing these for years! I'm taken' em out tonight!

As long as you wear the correct lens, you shouldn't have a problem. I've been wearing overnight lenses for 2 years now and have never had a problem.

The overnight lens is made of different material that allows the eye to breath much more than the other type of lens.

Either way, if your eye starts to hurt while wearing the lens, take em out and see your doctor.

I hope you feel better soon!

Like most contact lens wearers, I too abused my eyes in my younger days. I eventually got sick of having sore eyes and took them out every night and wore glasses more often. My vision was very poor though, and I hated being blind without corrective lenses.

I eventually decided to explore and eventually have LASIK surgery. It cost $3500 and took a long time to pay off as a flight instructor and a first year regional FO, but I still consider it the best money I have ever spent, hands down.

LASIK is not for everyone, but most people I have talked to feel the same as I do. The one exception is a friend who had very cheap LASIK and had to start wearing glasses again. I don't know if the cost had anything to do with it, but I wouldn't cheap out on my eyes.

... Try those night & day contact lenses. You can literally wear em' for like 24 days or so nonstop (with the occasional clean every so often)...real comfortable too...
My AME told me one day that if it were up to him all Day & Night contact lenses would have an extra warning label just for pilots

- Day & Night Lenses (NOTE! For pilots - Day Lenses ONLY!!!)

No pilot should ever sleep with his/her contacts in - way too risky! Just my opinion of course.

Btw. He said that the "extra openings" in the day & night lenses that allow for extra air to reach your eyes clog up very quickly and although the lenses "feel good" - they definitely aren't "good" for your eyes.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back