229 Delta Pilots to Retire

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
P3-Adub said:
Sounds to me like a contract violation that would surely ruffle feathers. That is if the MEC does not sell out the group as a whole to keep some dues coming in from the upper seniority. Has the term "scab" been floated about at all ?
P3,

The post retirement provision was negotiated by ALPA...no "contract violation" involved. "Scab" ????????? If you don't know what you're talking about, perhaps you shouldn't be talking.

SCAB ?!?!?!?!

P3-Adub said:
How do the masses feel about this ? Sounds to me like a contract violation that would surely ruffle feathers. That is if the MEC does not sell out the group as a whole to keep some dues coming in from the upper seniority. Has the term "scab" been floated about at all ? Just curious. I am sure there are several DAL pilots that would be willing to take an upgrade or even more furloughees that would like to come back to work ?

The furloughees at UAL were given a pittence portion of the stock reallocation plan once UAL emerges from BK. Lets see, give them 5% to pacify them and 95% to the remaining group who did not have to give up their jobs. 100% pay cut for the furloughees. Just don't get the "take care of our own, and get what I can for myself" attitude so many pilots have. Seniority rules !!! No Really.
All your diatribe can be summarized in three words, "You're a moron."

Try educating yourself about what is going on with the Delta Pilots before you make yourself look like an idiot.

P.S. You need to learn what the term SCAB refers to because you obviously don't get it.

P3-Adub said:
How do the masses feel about this ? Sounds to me like a contract violation ...
You should pay more attention. Where were you when we debating the PRP TA? It passed. It's part of the PWA, now.

It saved the day, and it means furloughs will be recalled more quickly. Just ask General Lee!

;)

Tony C. is sorta correct. It did save the day initially, which means it stopped a Chap 11 filing and that could have resulted in further plane parking. The main deal here is that we wanted to NOT go through what United and USAir pilots have gone through. We voted in that TA (#45) and it made sure that we wouldn't have to park planes due to lack of staff, and it also states that as long as we have PRPs, there will be no further furloughs. Had we not signed and lost 500 Captains in one month, we would have had to park every widebody, and many of those retiring would have been line check airman and sim instructors. It would have been a cluster fukc. Instead, those PRPs will eventually be gone, and the line check guys that stayed during this last retirement wave 2 days ago (16 guys I believe) will stay and help train the replacements. That is a fact, and they will all be gone eventually---because the IRS is watching---and they don't like people staying too long after receiving their lump sums.......

To say that we would have been better off not voting in this TA and watching Delta crumble is absolutely wrong---it would have made things a lot worse. It would not have brought the furloughs back any faster, and probably would have resulted in many more. Now, we have a chance to get better, and a lot of guys have retired anyways---just not all at once with no back up. Oil prices have come down a tad, and we have a new credit line that will help pay off short term bills. That's better than being in court paying lawyers millions of $$$$$.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Last edited:
General Lee said:
We voted in that TA (#45) ... and it also states that as long as we have PRPs, there will be no further furloughs.

Ummmm General? Do you want to correct that?

Tony C,

That is a correct statement. Sure, there could be a Chap 11 and that could change that, but as I keep telling you Tony, the PRPs cannot stay for an extended amount of time due to IRS oversight. I think you need to read the agreement. It stated NO FURTHER FURLOUGHS WHILE PRPs are employed. They all have to be gone by December 31st, 2005. If you think differently, then please provide proof.

Bye Bye--General Lee

PS: Tony, in the actual TA (or agreement) in Section 11, under "Representation, Scope, Seniority, Bidding, Training, and Furlough" and under letter G---it states "No pilot will be placed on furlough during the employment of post-retirement pilots."

Where do you get your "Cocky Know it all" attitude?

Last edited:
General Lee said:
... as I keep telling you Tony, the PRPs cannot stay for an extended amount of time due to IRS oversight. I
Yeah, yeah, I know, I knooooow. You seem to have developed some kind of unnatural affection for the IRS, in fact. :)

There is a significant difference between "as long as we have PRPs, there will be no further furloughs" and "if we declare bankruptcy, the first thing we'll toss out is the no furlough clause." THAT's what is says.

(Don't you remember, you already HAD a "No Furlough" clause - - you didn't need a TA to get that!)

I am sooo glad you KNOW we will go Chap 11. That is probably why they awarded 330,000 stock options to two of the top VPs---so that could all go down in flames. You like to think you know everything, and you probably KNEW we were going to go into bankruptcy, but yet again it didn't happen. Will it happen in the future? I don't really know. You seem to know.

Listen to this Tony-----HAD WE GONE INTO CHAP 11, THE NO FURLOUGH CLAUSE WOULD HAVE BEEN TOSSED FIRST. FACT. WITHOUT THE TA, WE WOULD HAVE FILED CHAP 11. FACT. WHICH OF THESE TWO FACTS DO YOU NOT UNDERSTAND? The TA stopped an immediate Chap 11 filing, we survived another huge retirement chunk, our stock has climbed from the $2 mark, gas prices have gone down, and we have new financing. Not bad and hopefully it will get better. You are not a psychic, are you? Neither am I. And, I was told that fact about the IRS by an MEC member familiar with the negotiations.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Last edited:
General Lee said:
PS: Tony, in the actual TA (or agreement) in Section 11, under "Representation, Scope, Seniority, Bidding, Training, and Furlough" and under letter G---it states "No pilot will be placed on furlough during the employment of post-retirement pilots."

Where do you get your "Cocky Know it all" attitude?
Oops - - I was responding while you were editing. OK, you're right. It does say there will be no more furloughs. (Which in itself is confusing since your PWA already had a "No Furlough" provision.) The trouble is, that's not all the LOA says. Paragraph G is cited as the SOLE provision of the Agreement from which the Company will seek relief in a bankruptcy. In other words, if it declares bankruptcy, it plans to not honor the no-furlough provision. That's a fairly significant aspect, in my opinion.

Speaking of opinion, I do realize it's just that, and no more. I apologize if I came across as "cocky know it all." Criticism taken - - I'll try to do better.

My interest in your Company is not directly personal, but it's close. I have close relatives that derive their livelihood from your PWA. I wish you well.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back