Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

great cornholio

Are you threatening me??
Well its that time of year again. Tired looking around but not sure if I found the right rate. Does anyone know what the standard/average rate is this year for the CONUS rate? I think it was 54 last year, but cant find 2009.

It was $52/day in 2008, I have not bee able to find 2009 rates, seems like IRS has not updated Pub. 463 since. Therefore I assume the $52/day is still in effect, however I'm not a tax professional.

It was $52/day in 2008, I have not bee able to find 2009 rates, seems like IRS has not updated Pub. 463 since. Therefore I assume the $52/day is still in effect, however I'm not a tax professional.

Actually, pub 1542 is what you want to use. It breaks it down by city/county. If you want to go through all of your overnights, it might save you a few more bucks.

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p1542.pdf

Use the M&IE rate in the middle for each location. Also, the rates changed in October 2009, so you need to go through both sets of charts. Some places are up to $71 a day now.

Last edited:
Found it. Forgot to look for special transportation workers rate earlier. I tired the city by city rate last year and it was actually just a bit less than the standard rate for me. I've stayed in many of the same cities again this year since we haven't really changed our route structure too much so I'd guess the same thing would happen again so I'll just take the standard. Anyways rates for transportation workers are:

Jan 1 - Sept 30 $52/day
Oct 1 - Dec 31 $59/day

Heres a link. Its on page 6 right in the middle of the middle column.

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p463.pdf

On the GSA website when I was doing mine a few weeks ago, every city/county in CONUS that was not listed said $46 per day. I dont think I ran into it to much though, most places that I went had rates listed that were above the $46.

Found it. Forgot to look for special transportation workers rate earlier. I tired the city by city rate last year and it was actually just a bit less than the standard rate for me. I've stayed in many of the same cities again this year since we haven't really changed our route structure too much so I'd guess the same thing would happen again so I'll just take the standard. Anyways rates for transportation workers are:

Jan 1 - Sept 30 $52/day
Oct 1 - Dec 31 $59/day

Heres a link. Its on page 6 right in the middle of the middle column.

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p463.pdf

Thanks for the link. I used to do mine with city/state rate which turned out to be around $1000 less per year than the IRS transportation worker rate. However I don't see the dates and rates you mentioned anywhere on that publication...

Last edited:
Standard DOT rates
January - September
CONUS $52
OCONUS $58

October - December
CONUS $59
OCONUS $65

GSA.gov lists the M&IE rates for specific cites. You should calculate using both sets of rates and use the one that is more beneficial. If you have international overnights, it may be more beneficial to use the rates from GSA.gov.

Latest resources

Back