Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

2006 Vacation - Alaska Cruise? or do you have a better idea?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

FurloughedAgain

Cabin Heating & Air Tech.
Starting to plan our 2006 vacation. We've got a few other couples we enjoy traveling with. We love taking cruises, but are getting a little bored with the Bahamas/Western Caribbean.

We have about 1 week (+- a day or two) and were considering taking a 7 day cruise from Seattle or Vancouver up the inside passage. None of us has ever been to Alaska. We would obviously spring for a balcony cabin if we chose that type of vacation.

Seattle is a little cheaper to get to from an airfare standpoint -- and is only two-stops from NW Arkansas vs. 3 to Vancouver.

I'm not 100% sold on Alaska (or even a cruise). Anybody have any other ideas for a unique vacation for a bunch of mid-30s, lazy folks who dont want to spend a fortune?

We enjoy good food (and lots of it!), good music, entertainment -- but in general we just want to relax and let somebody else do the work for a while.

A cruise to Alaska two years ago on Princess Cruises was the best thing we have ever done. The scenery is unbelievable and a balcony is not only worth it but I think a must to Alaska. Take the Helicopter tour to the glacier in Juneau-Amazing. We have video of a 800 lb brown bear and three cubs getting fish from a lake from about 15 feeet away in a boat-Good luck

Did you sail out of Seattle or Vancouver? Which ship? Did you purchase through princess, or find a better deal elsewhere?

Thanks!

We left from Vancouver. Coral Princess-fairly laid back-Went through Cruise One- www.cruiseone.com to find an agent-Their price with airfare was better than anyone elses (i.e. expedia) cruise price alone. We went from BC to Seward and then by Bus to Anchorage for the ride home. Dont forget the balcony, it is definatly worth it. Nothing like getting some room service and sitting out and watching the sights Good luck

Princes Cruise Lines

Might consider either of these two new ships operated by Princes;

Diamond Princes
Saphire Princes

Two sister ship that are less than two years old. Both sail out of Seattle during the Alaska cruise season.

We did an Alaska cruise last August. It was a GREAT trip. The only thing to remember...get out of the port cities!!! You will have 2 or 3 cruise ships in port at the same time and the town is just a tourist trap mess. If you choose an excursion outside of the city, you will have an awesome time!! We booked our own excursions, saved a bundle and still had a blast. Make sure your cruise goes past the Hubbard glacier, what an awesome sight.

We did not book a balcony because we went at the end of August and it was too chilly to sit outside, but we had a window. If we had gone in the summer it would have been awesome to have a balcony, the killer whales would swim in pods right beside the boat. I will say we did not spend much time in the cabin, up at 5am out to explore and back on the ship by 5 or 6pm, shower, change, have dinner and maybe a few drinks and it was off to sleep.

We took the cruiseship train from Seeward to Anchorage and it was worth every penny. Spent the night in Anchorage, rented a car and spent another week fishing and driving up to Denali.

All in all it was a fantastic trip and I would do it again in a heartbeat. We booked through ABSeas.com and got an interline deal that was dirt cheap. If you enjoy the outdoors and awesome scenery...go for it!!

Royal Coachman Lodge

Why not fly into a remote lodge for a week nature and tranquility... and outstanding fishing!! A very good friend of mine flies a Beaver on floats for a lodge in Alaska. PM me and I'll pass on his email addy.

Latest resources

Back