• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

2 European Airlines to allow mobile phone use in flight

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Oh brother. The flight attendants are gonna have a hard time doing service now..and talking on the cell phone.

This will be a sad day when it happens here in the states. I'd HATE to be on that airplane.

I keep mine on, and I almost always get a signal. I've never tested it above 10k though.

The only time I didn't get a signal I was litteraly in the middle of nowhere, so I didn't expect a signal.

Oh, great...Thats is all I need. Sopme self importanat jack-@ass that won't get of the phone. Sheez

I think it will be a marketable feature for an airline to advertise "And WE don't allow cell phones on OUR planes!" I will buy.

DM; many of them don't work aloft (mine included above 3Kagl), I have heard two reasons: in areas with a lot of towers I am told they have software that locks your phone out when it is hitting on multiple towers also some say the antenna are directional, ie do not point up at all.

The way I understand it, the cell phone service on airlines will not rely on the ground-based cell network, the airplane will carry a repeater station around. Gurus?

all i know is that the annoyance of "personal convos" are bad enough, but when you get a buisness guru with his wireless handset making hand gestures as if the seat back in front of him is his conversational cohort, the crying baby, the "OMG did you hear what Becky did" bimbo convo, "please put your seat back in the upright position" (because lord knows thats going to save my a$$ if we land hard), the dude who is eating the ever wonderful smelling food you can't have just might be too much for one flight.....I'd be considered a safety hazard in the back.....

....put me up front where the safety margin goes out the window!

Latest resources

Back