Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

UA-RESURRECTED

Does this mean I failed?
I'm planning a X-country flight to an airport about 56 miles away. A direct route would have me flying through several MOA's, so my instructor said to plan on flying an indirect route, following a couple victor airways.

The issue is, one airway will have me flying a magnetic course of 315-degrees, while another airway will be oriented at 003-degrees.

So the first airway I'll be flying at 4,500', and the second 3,500'??? Legally, I can't fly this all at one cruising altitude???

I have to specify 2 different cruising altitude when filling the flight plan?

If you are within 3000 feet of the ground cruising altitudes don't matter, also you might as well blast right into those MOA's, it's perfectly legal to do so. But yes, if you want to do it right you will need to change altitudes as you change headings.

You don't have to specify anything on your flight plan. But you should change the altitude on your own when transitioning your course, if you are cruising above 3000 AGL.

It actually happens in real life too, on certain north south routes. Just file your first altitude then make an altitude change at the turn.

Think SOCAL to Jackson Hole, at BERYL we change from FL390 to FL400;)

Not so fast...

MTpilot said:
also you might as well blast right into those MOA's, it's perfectly legal to do so.

Legal, yes. Smart? No, not so much. At least check to see if the MOAs are active before blasting through them. Those little fast military jets are tough to see, especially at 500+ knots closure.

PLEASE call to check on the MOAs.

Even better, pick up some VFR flight following for traffic advisories in those MOAs.

Fury220 said:
PLEASE call to check on the MOAs.

Even better, pick up some VFR flight following for traffic advisories in those MOAs.
One of my instrument students was coming down in her Piper Warrior to take her 10 day instrument course and landed at the Beaufort MCAS instead of the Beaufort Frogmore Airport. They are about 5-10 miles apart.

The Marines didn't know she was coming, until she was over the numbers.

I know the military is here to protect us, but who would protect you?

UA-RESURRECTED said:
I'm planning a X-country flight to an airport about 56 miles away. A direct route would have me flying through several MOA's, so my instructor said to plan on flying an indirect route, following a couple victor airways.

The issue is, one airway will have me flying a magnetic course of 315-degrees, while another airway will be oriented at 003-degrees.

So the first airway I'll be flying at 4,500', and the second 3,500'??? Legally, I can't fly this all at one cruising altitude???

I have to specify 2 different cruising altitude when filling the flight plan?

If a crow flies at 2500 and a billy goat flies at 0 AGL, which do you think will reach my belly first?

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back