• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

2.8g

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Surprising. Germans are such a skilled group of people. I put great trust in German-made products and services. Top notch!

The Aviation Herald learned on Mar 27th 2014, that the touch down produced a vertical acceleration of +2.8G rendering the touch down the second hardest landing of an A346 ever following the +3.09G landing of Iberia in Quito, see Report: Iberia A346 at Quito on Nov 9th 2007, overran runway. Examination of the aircraft is underway, the right main landing gear is going to be replaced, as of current the entire aircraft structure including wings and wing tanks are being checked for cracks. The aircraft is currently estimated to be out of service for at least several weeks.

Vorsicht

Surprising. Germans are such a skilled group of people. I put great trust in German-made products and services. Top notch!

You have obviously not lived in Germany. Even their poo stinks like in any other society.

(Hamburg, Mexico City and Riyadh come to mind.)

Last edited:
Hey, not intended as a slam against our European airline brothers, but rather an observation... just thinking out loud.

Seems if you watch a number of the youtube "crosswind landing compilations" filmed in Europe that the overall crosswind technique is shall we say, not what I'm accustomed to witnessing holding short of the runway in the US/Canada.

What I'm used to seeing: A jetliner maintaining a crab on landing until in the flare just above the runway, then "ruddering" to align with the centerline and dipping the upwind wheel slightly... once the aircraft has all its tires on the pavement, ailerons are rolled into the wind to level the aircraft and maintain centerline.

I get that in certain aircraft and circumstances this isn't always practical.

I see in a number of European youtube videos that the technique is often descending in a crab all the way to touchdown, after touchdown once the nose swings around, and the the aft flight attendant is pasted to the cabin wall, the aircraft meanders down the runway with the upwind wing tipped up about 3 degrees.

Is it drilled into crews not to cross-control in the slightest at ANY time? Maybe I'm off-base.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back