2.5M settlement against FAA in CRG crash

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Bryan D

I'm still scratching my head on this one. I can't see the fault of the FAA.

The news story;

JACKSONVILLE, FL -- The family of a pilot killed in a plane crash on Thanksgiving has reached a settlement with the federal government.

Doctor George Swanson and his four children died when their plane crashed in heavy fog near Craig Airport.

The family sued the Federal Aviation Administration, claiming the airport had faulty equipment and air traffic controllers failed to warn Swanson of his situation.

The family settled for $2.5 million.

Swanson flew from Port Arthur, Texas, to Jacksonville on Thanksgiving to meet with his mother and brother, a Jacksonville police officer, before flying to the Florida Keys.

He died when his plane crashed into the trees near Atlantic and Kernan Boulevards, just under two miles from the airport.

He was 56.

The NTSB report;

NTSB Identification: MIA04FA029
14 CFR Part 91: General Aviation
Accident occurred Thursday, November 27, 2003 in Jacksonville, FL
Aircraft: Swearingen SA-26-AT, registration: N698X
Injuries: 1 Fatal, 4 Minor

On November 27, 2003, about 0752 eastern standard time, a Swearingen SA-26-AT, N698X, registered to and operated by an individual, impacted with trees while on approach to the Craig Airport, Jacksonville, Florida. Instrument meteorological conditions (IMC) prevailed at the time and an instrument flight rules (IFR) flight plan was filed for the 14 CFR Part 91 personal flight. The airplane was destroyed. The commercial-rated pilot was fatally injured. Four passengers reported minor injuries. The flight had departed from Beaumont, Texas, at 0400 central standard time.

While on the instrument landing system (ILS) approach to runway 32, the flight impacted with trees about 1.8 miles from the airport. Air traffic control (ATC) had advised the pilot that the weather was below landing minimums at his intended landing site, and had given him alternate airports in the area that had landing minimums. The passengers stated the pilot was aware of the fog at the destination airport; he mentioned fog at Jacksonville while en route. The pilot elected to attempt the approach. The airplane impacted in a wooded area behind a shopping center. Two of the four passengers were asleep during the approach, two passengers said they heard trees striking the airplane and that at the time it was foggy. The pilot did not saying anything to the passengers, alerting them to any impending dangers. The recorded visibility at the time of the accident was 1/4 mile, and the vertical visibility was 100 feet.

i can't consider myself an authority on anything aviation related, but i have about 250 landings at crg. one thing i hear often on the atis is "glideslope rwy 32 out of service" in fact, i heard it at least 3 days this week on ifr training flights- forcing me to use the ils 31 at sgj for practice. mabye the glideslope was out, but not yet on the atis? i have no idea what the various malfunctions of the glideslope can be, or how they can manifest themselves, but it does seem like at crg the glideslope is out of service more often than not. obviously this does not excuse the poor decision making of the pilot, but poor decision making never stopped a lawyer from making big money out of bullsh--. just my two cents from a first time poster.

p.s. i have a nice gig, non aviation related, which gives me the freedom to fly for fun. i have the utmost respect for you guys chasing the dream against corporate headwinds and wish everyone clear skies, a rewarding career, and a stable family life.

Latest resources

Back