172rg

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

ALIMBO

My buddy is going for his commercial ride soon and in his study packet from SIU it says that there is 5 actuators for the gear. 2 for the main's 1 for the nose with 2 gear locks. Now I did my commercial in the 210 so I wasn't sure what to tell him but, are the 2 actuators for the gear used for 1 to lower the gear and the other actuator for the gear down lock? Sorry if it sounds confusing I really don't know how to word it so well.

Alimbo,

Each landing gear has it's own actuator for gear extension and retraction. That's three of the actuators. Additionally, the main gear have one more actuator each which is for the respective gear downlock. That's the total of five. However, so far as actual gear movement, it's three actuators...one for each gear assembly to move the gear. The two downlock acuators have just the one purpose; to ensure the gear doesn't unlock, and have no other role in retraction or extension.

Visit: http://williams.best.vwh.net/172RG_POH/cover.html for a quick overview.

You can see a picture of the system here:

http://williams.best.vwh.net/172RG_POH/7-27.html#HYDRAULIC

Thanks avbug he has the cutlass poh but he didn't really consult it because the school gave him a packet to refer to instead. I was pretty sure I was right, but I didn't want to give him the wrong info thanks again.

Alimbo,

Your friend may have been given gouge, but he's responsible for operating the airplane in accordance with the aircraft flight manual, and should know it's contents before he attends his practical test. Rather than taking the easy route and reviewing the readers digest version he needs to get his nose in the book and study.

Ya he was a little down on some of his ground so I covered ground for about an hour and a half yesterday. I figure the checkride shouldn't be too different than the one I took albeit mine was pt 61 and his is 141. One thing I noticed is commercial privileges seem to be very weak from students at 141 schools. They think that a legit answer is I can get paid to fly that's the difference from being a private pilot. When in fact it is so much more than that.

Latest resources

Back