Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Snakum

How's your marmott?
I've barely flown since 9/11 due to $$$, but I'm now studying for a BFR and hope to start back on my ratings soon and need an inexpensive trainer to brush up in. I've called around my area and it appears someone bought up all the 150s/152s and shipped them to East Outer Lithuania, and considering the price difference between a 150 and a Skyhawk will eventually add up (and I am still pretty broke :( ), I thought I'd post here to see if anyone knew of a 150/152 in the Lexington/Mocksville/Salisbury area of North Carolina that might be for rent?

Danke Schon ...

Minhberg the Muslim Pig Farmer

Try Triad Air at INT. All the schools around here have closed up or the prices are too high to rent. Look may want to look around on the ramp and track down the owner by N# and see if you can work out a deal.

I'm in the same boat but looking for cheap multi training in the NC area. Here's what I've been doing and it may help you as well.

Go to http://www.aopaflighttraining.org/school/index.cfm. Search for the area that you want (in this case NC). It'll bring up a listing of schools. You can click on the individual names and get contact information (website, phone, etc.). You may be able to find a C150/2 that way.

Good luck. PM me if you find one. We have quite a few where I'm at now (MN). I knew that they were dwindling, but I'm surprised that they are going away so fast.

Thanks for the info. None of the schools within easy driving distance has a 150/2, however I do see them on local ramps periodically, and never considered speaking with the owners. Anyone know what might be involved insurance-wise? I know all the rules for renting (inspections, insurance, etc.), but I'm wondering if there's a legal way to approach this with a private owner (paying to have me named on his insurance, buying in as a limited partner, etc.)?

Minh

Snakum said:
(paying to have me named on his insurance, buying in as a limited partner, etc.)?

Those are legit options. And I wouldn't think that you'd have to comply with the 100-hour inspection if you are a part owner (although I may be wrong. I'd ask someone more sure of that answer before you take it for gospel).

You may just want to consider going with a C172. The cost of operating the two are quite similar and getting closer by the day, and in turn, the cost of renting/owning would be similar. And in reality it's not much different than a C152. Plus, if you start factoring in drive time, extra insurance costs, etc. etc., it may actually be cheaper in both time and money to rent from the local FBO rather than hassle with the problems of ownership.

it may actually be cheaper in both time and money to rent from the local FBO rather than hassle with the problems of ownership.

When I said 'limited partner' ... I meant VERY limited. :D

I know what you're saying though. However, older Skyhawks are running close to $80 an hour, while 152s are running $55-$60 at the same schools. That'll add up over the next year or so. There's just no one near me who has one. :)

Bummer ...

inh

Snakum said:
When I said 'limited partner' ... I meant VERY limited. :D

I know what you're saying though. However, older Skyhawks are running close to $80 an hour, while 152s are running $55-$60 at the same schools. That'll add up over the next year or so. There's just no one near me who has one. :)

Bummer ...

inh

I was VP of an aviation club a year ago that owned both C152 and C172. The rental cost per hour was similar to what you described. $79 for a C172 and $56 for a C152. However, we made nearly no profit on a C152 and in turn, had to boost the rates for the C172 to compensate. Thus, the costs per hour are closer than the actual rates.

However, to the end user, there is a significant difference. It just depends on how long you think that you'll have to fly inorder to get current. I'm guessing 5-10 hours to get through the BFR if you haven't flown in three years? The savings between the C152 and C172 is going to be a max of $250 then.

Just weigh your options. One thing that I like to do when I'm faced with these types of decisions is to make a spreadsheet detailing the different costs. It'll show you fairly quickly what is your best option financially.

Sankum,

Try ISO Aero at Concord, KJQF. They used to have a 152 for $55/hr.

704-784-1295.

I just called 'em .... they sold it. :(

I guess the razor-thin profit margins with the C150/152 has forced most schools to ditch 'em, what with increased fuel and insurance prices already eating them alive.

Bummer .... I shoulda' bought one back when I had money.

Anyone have a Traumahawk for rent? :D

Minh

www.lumbertonaviation.com

Try lumberton aviation at LBT
1-800-232-7720

nice mom and pop operation.
owner is 15000 hr plus A&P, IA, instructor, former Golden Knight

their email is down right now- call them

Latest resources

Back