139th AS???

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

sheep44

Does anyone know anything about 139th Airlift Squadron out of Scotia NY? I have an interview with them coming up and I just wanted to see if anyone has any experience with them.

They use ski-equipped c-130s to fly supplies into Antarctica. It really sounds like a neat organization and this was one of my top picks so I am pretty happy about the invite.

Thanks.

I used to know a lot of the pilots/crew when they were flying the first model ski-birds, the D (which was a converted A model). Now they are flying the LC-130H, and the old ex-Navy F ski birds.

They all had nothing but good things to say about the mission.

A couple of friends of mine are members of the squadron (non-flying position),
and they too seem happy with their jobs.

Here is what I do know.

They have a very good relationship with the surrounding community.

They fly quite a bit. I must see at least one of the skier's up every day.

They have a very specific "mission", which can be very challenging. They have a big emphasis on safety. Not much room for error when operating in/out of either Greenland or Antartica.

The Base location is pretty good. You are within one or two hours of most kinds of "fun" activities (ski-ing, six-flags, mountains, NASCAR racetrack, horseracing, etc., etc.)

There are also excellent school systems nearby, and plenty of friendly communities from which to find a home.

The only downside might be the taxes. But then, that's NY for you.

Hope this helps............

Thanks for the info. I have heard similar things from others. The more I learn about these guys, the more pumped I get about the interview. It's especially nice to know that the area is good. I have some family in the state, but they all live by the Big Apple.

Thanks again.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back