135 X-C question

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

asolo

Okay, I should know this by now, but it seems that if you've been an instructor for long enough, you are wise in many ways but tend to forget things you've only heard 1 or 2 times. My question is: X-C when trying to qualify for 135 regs: Is any flight that you have completed after your commercial certificate and includes pilotage, dead reckoning, radio nav, or any other type of navigation a cross country flight?. So, this means that if I take off from an airport and land 10 miles away, that would count towards my 135 X-C right? BTW, I don't have a FAR/AIM with me either! Thanks!

Blue Skies

I had to look this up myself on the FAA FAQ page and re-read the regs in the beginning of part 61. It is my understanding that any flight with a LANDING at an airport other than the departure point that includes some form of navigation counts towards the 135 requirements. The reason it is simply "airport to airport" is because part 61 doesn't mention 135 qualifications specifically under the cross country definition, therefore you simply use the first definition of "cross country" listed in 61. Part of this came back to bite me because I was originally thinking that I could count all my instrument flights with a student to other airports when I shoot an approach but don't actually land. Unfortunately part 61 says LANDING at another point. D@mn it! Still 20 hours short!!!

landing

Spocksbeard, you might want to find out what the FAA considers a landing. As a135 check airman, my checkee's are required to demonstrate at least three landings. However, my POI (principal operations inspector) has told me that the balked landings count as landings. according to their handbook (8400.10) if you get within 50 feet of the runway, it is considered a landing. You might consider checking into that.

61.1(b)(3)(iv) To satisfy x/c requirements for the ATP, no landing is required. The flight simply has to go 50 NM straightline distance from original point of departure.

Interesting to note that to satisfy the pvt and commercial x/c requirements, a landing at an airport more than 50 nm from the original point of departure is required.

SATCFI

Latest resources

Back