Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Ghetto Sled

Dont pet cocktail monkey
Anyone heard of the FAA giving a written test instead of an oral during an initial line check? If so, does it follow a standard format and what type of questions can be expected. Is the question bank from the FAA written tests for pilot certificates?

Feds are big on having a Plan of Action. Some will put together a written instead of an oral so they don't get themselves off track, or ask a question they don't know the answer to. I know this isn't much help, but I'd say it could be anything, but most likely stuff you'd expect on the oral, regs, op specs, GOM, performance, etc. If it is just a line check, and your company has a good report with your POI, it shouldn't be too invasive. It is the FAA, so you never know.

They have the option of doing either an oral or a written test. I have never seen a written from the FAA. I have seen them read from a bank of questions.

I had a 135 initial...293, 299 ride on the king Air 200 today. Took a written test on both the airplane and on 135 regs and the Fed didnt ask me a single question. Just went flying and was home by noon with a satisfactory performance...painless. TELL UR CHIEF TO GIVE U A WRITTEN!!!!!!! It makes things so much easier.

I had a 135 initial...293, 299 ride on the king Air 200 today. Took a written test on both the airplane and on 135 regs and the Fed didnt ask me a single question. Just went flying and was home by noon with a satisfactory performance...painless. TELL UR CHIEF TO GIVE U A WRITTEN!!!!!!! It makes things so much easier.

I've done the same thing in the past. To make it even easier it was take home and open book, lol.

Satisfactory performance...That's it.

just messing with you. Congrats!:beer:

Anyone heard of the FAA giving a written test instead of an oral during an initial line check? If so, does it follow a standard format and what type of questions can be expected. Is the question bank from the FAA written tests for pilot certificates?

Our department used to do the written in place of part of the oral. The written covered ATC procedures, Part 91, Meteorology, and the other not operation specific stuff.

I had a short written followed by an oral on my initial "VFR only" 135 ride years ago. All took less time than expect, but it was the same inspector I had done my CFI initial with just 8 months earlier.

Since then I have had written, oral, written and oral exams, and once when I called to schedule my ride the inspector said he wanted to fax me something. He then faxed me a take home exam that he wanted completed before I showed up. He then picked 4 or 5 questions to discuss during the oral. The written exams never looked standardized, just something the inspector made up himself.

Latest resources

Back