135 to 121

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

PSM727

Hi all. Today i received a call from a pilot placement agency that is looking for a captain for a Part 121 internationally based Hawker (not sure where yet). I am a current and qualified Part 135 Hawker captain looking for work. I had emailed them my resume about an hour earlier (pretty quick response!). My question is, what do i need to do in order to be legal to fly Part 121 while only being certified now under 135.293, 135.297 and 135.299? Anyone?

In answer to your question - there is nothing YOU need to do to become "121 legal" (other than have the minimum qualifications, ie. ATP for turbo-jet PIC) - this already assumed since you are 135 PIC qualified in a turbo-jet. It's the company's responsibility to hire/train you to become 121 qualified. Your 135 status would have no bearing on it. Your post would raise other questions, though. What kind of operation would need to be 121 to operate a Hawker? Is it a N numbered aircraft? Is there a JAA or other agency licencing requirement?

Thanks for the response. I would agree that it should be the company's responsibility to train me to become 121 qualified. At least that's the way it's always been for me before. They may want someone they can hire without having to do any training, but i just don't how they can get away with that. It's a two-year contract. At the least, an 8 hr indoc should be necessary. Your last three questions are the what I'm wondering as well and I hope I can get them answered soon, but I assume they are using the Hawker for scheduled service.

PSM,

I saw that same job posting and was also wondering what the situation was all about. As far as 121 goes, the training is the same as what you did under 135. You're right, at the least, company indoc would be necessary. What I'm not sure about is whether you could transfer your letter or not. If you've been training in sims you've most likely been training under a 121 appendix H program but I'm not sure about the ability to transfer a PC between parts. As far as why they would be 121, my assumption was that this aircraft was probably owned or being managed by a company with a 121 certificate... no reason I can think of why you couldn't so why bother with a separate 135 certificate.

cc

BTW, good luck!

You would have to under go a complete FAA approved part 121 training program as defined in the Part 121 air carrier's FAA accepted Training Manual

Thanks for all the great responses. I called Simuflite and they have nothing to do with 121 and had never had the question posed. So i'm not too sure if my SF training will be accepted by the 121 company. They may have to give a differences course as well as indoc. Their POI will have to figure out what to do with me i guess.

None of your previous 135 traininng or expereince will count, all the training under 121 in sub part N & O refers to "under this part" which means it must be done at a 121 air carrier, IOE, consolidation, high mins capt, etc.

It would be nice if you're wrong Yip, but i'm afraid you probably aren't. I don't know how these guys are going to find a current/qualified 121 Hawker captain for this contract.

Hawker on a 121 Cert?

It could be the airplane is not on a 121 cert, but they want a 121 Capt with Int'l experience to qualifiy under 135. We operate under a blended certificate where we are a 121 air carirer operating the DC-9 combined with a 135 operation using the DA-20. All training is 121 that allows DA-20 pilots to flow into the DC-9 and all they need is DC-9 systems.

Latest resources

Back