135 or 121

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

deceptibum

Just a question for you out there. We all know that 121 turbine PIC is the most common way to get into the majors(besides military). However, would 135 jet PIC hold any ground or is that most likely a dead end to qualify for a major airline. Appreciate any stories out there of personal experiences about this scenario.

Thanks in advance!!!

121 jet PIC v. 135 jet PIC

Just my .02 opinion based on my experience in the industry, but I don't see how 135 jet PIC would be a dead end at all. It certainly would put you in the running for a job with the majors. I'd say that in either case jet PIC would be golden. That kind of time doesn't grow on trees.

A lot would depend on how your quals stack up against the competition and how much hiring is going on and where. Some companies, such as Southwest (with your B737 type) or JetBlue or AirTran, are more enlightened on that issue than maybe United or Delta.

You must evaluate the factors under which the time was built. Such things as equipment, type of work (hopefully, not through P-F-T!), upgrades, amount of time, company, etc. In other words, 1000 hours of RJ PIC may carry the same or more weight than 2000 hours of 135 Citation PIC. But, it certainly wouldn't be a detriment in any way that I can see.

Some intangibles might enter into it, such as if you built the time as PIC of an RJ. Your interview board at the majors might consist of pilot(s) who oppose RJ encroachments and who might find you guilty by association. I most certainly wouldn't let that influence my decision, but it's something to keep in the back of your mind.

Hope that helps. Bottom line: If you have a chance at being Captain on a 135 jet, you should go for it without hesitation.

Hope that helps. Good luck with your decision.

Last edited:
deceptibum said:
Just a question for you out there. We all know that 121 turbine PIC is the most common way to get into the majors(besides military). However, would 135 jet PIC hold any ground or is that most likely a dead end to qualify for a major airline. Appreciate any stories out there of personal experiences about this scenario.

Thanks in advance!!!

ANY Jet PIC time is golden for the majors... ExecJet (ooppss.. NetJets) pilots were getting hired by the majors and they are technically flying Part 91 Jets....

Some operators also want experience flying heavy jets.

Generally, many have gone to the majors with 135 PIC time.

Latest resources

Back