135 or 121

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
It Matters not

It matters not what background you come from. As long as a pilot meets the requirements it maters not whether he/she comes from 121, 135, or 91. What does matter is WHO YOU KNOW especially in this day and time. I have a buddy who was hired at a major right before the whole hiring boom started. All of his turbine time was single pilot part 91. He also had no college whatsoever, and was age 42. Part 135 and 121 all have good and bad pilots. No one operation has the best group of guys to choose from. Hell.........I flew in tonight on a 121 major and whoever was flying couldnt manage power on the approach to save his/her life.......it was like punch it and cut it every 10 seconds. Good luck with the job search.

Luck

Good post, Surplus. So many people forget that luck is a very important intangible in building a flying career. You indeed have to be in the right place at the right time.

I remember my last regional interview. It wasn't really an "interview," but a massive cattle call. I spent maybe five minutes with an H.R. type. Then, I spent maybe five minutes with a captain who duplicated the H.R. type's questions. He seemed antagonistic. I lost the draw that day. Complete waste of my time.

These things happen. You can finally get the phone call for the interview of your life, be as well prepared as anyone, and you suffer the misfortune of drawing morons and jerks as your interviewers. And, no matter how much you try, you cannot pull it out of the fire. Once again, you need luck in this business.

Last edited:
While all of the above suggestions are good and well (I agree with Bobbyamsand and Surplus1), don't be in too big a rush that you ignore the basics; blackmail, bribery, coersion, and treachery in general.

After all, success is nothing more than preparation and luck bolstered by the support of brute force. Don't forget to smile.

qwerty-
Probably being at the right place at the right time and probably a fraction of "luck" tossed into the equation- It never hurts in this business to "network" either ( . )

Cheers
3 5 0
by the way what is the def of a "nice" airplane?

Latest resources

Back