• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

135 in Arizona?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
A little off the topic, but flying over the canyon with the SFAR/corridors is some of the most fun I've ever had in the air, even at the ridiculously high altitudes you have to maintain to truck over the edge. That area of the country is simply amazing!

Don't forget that there is a 135 cesnna 207/210 operator out of Paige AZ and Sedona. I think it is called westwind and I can't remember the other name.

Canyon flying was the best!

merlindrvr88 said:
There is a new outfit in Havasu geting started, Tam-aero, Bob, there chief pilot is pretty cool. Give him a call, 928-764-1988

Hey BW.........what kind of gig is Tam-aero starting up in Havasu? A charter of somesort? I haven't been out that way in well over a year.

stearnst said:
A little off the topic, but flying over the canyon with the SFAR/corridors is some of the most fun I've ever had in the air, even at the ridiculously high altitudes you have to maintain to truck over the edge. That area of the country is simply amazing!

Even more interesting flying for an air tour at the lower altitudes. It will make you a much better pilot.

Melfly said:
Don't forget that there is a 135 cesnna 207/210 operator out of Paige AZ and Sedona. I think it is called westwind and I can't remember the other name.

Canyon flying was the best!

Westwind is a good operation, flying 207's and Caravans. They primarily pull from their instructor base, so outsiders are a little harder to get in. I know several of the pilots up there, and they are all good people.

The other company out of Page is American Aviation. My advice would be to avoid them for now. They had there certificate yanked a few months ago due to sloppy paperwork. They are not able to fly part 135 but did get some letter allowing them to fly part 91. From the people that I have talked to, no one has seen this letter and the whole operation is kind of questionable.

The season around the Canyon will be winding down. Try next spring and you might be able to get in with some of the operators at the Canyon. Grand Canyon Airlines might be hiring then. I talked with the chief there Saturday and he said that they are looking for either 1000 hours or 100 multi. I am not surehow set in stone that is. Scenic is currently cutting back, but that might change next season. Air Grand Canyon will be looking for pilots in February or March and the company will be going through some beneficial changes. So keep an eye on them.

Flyint eh air tour routes over the Canyon has been the best flying experience of my life, and i would recommend it to anyone who gets the chance to do it.

Oh dear--thank you for askikng.

My beloved has never seen the canyon. We are at a time in this life when he will only get one chance to see it all. I was thinking a fly over would be something special for him.

Any suggestions are much appreciated!

AZaviator said:
Hey BW.........what kind of gig is Tam-aero starting up in Havasu? A charter of somesort? I haven't been out that way in well over a year.

135 with a Merlin, 310 and a 182. Possibly a Meridian.

Annie said:
Oh dear--thank you for askikng.

My beloved has never seen the canyon. We are at a time in this life when he will only get one chance to see it all. I was thinking a fly over would be something special for him.

Any suggestions are much appreciated!

Well, it all depends on how much you are willing to pay. I flew for Air Grand Canyon, but I have also gone on a helicopter flight. The Helicopters are going to be more expensive and they have two tours that they will offer. One is about an hour long and the other is half an hour. I would recommend the hour tour. As helicopters go, I would ride with Maverick. Papillon flies the Bell's and it is not as smooth of a ride.

Air Grand Canyon is the only company that will guarentee that you get a window seat. Grand Canyon Airlines flies the same route as we do, but they fly the Twin Otter which has an aisle seat. The helicopters have different seating arrangements. Papillon seats three across and some of those seats sit backwards. Maverick and Grand Canyon Helicopters fly the EcoStars and they will sit four across. That means that two people are sitting in the middle and have to look over other people to see out.

At Air Grand Canyon, we were charging $127 (total price) per adult for a roughly 50 minute flight. Grand Canyon Airlines was a little cheaper but you do run the risk of an aisle seat. Be careful if you look any of these companies up online. They only put their base price, and you have to add fuel surcharge, Canyon fees, etc.

Every operator flies the same routes because those are regulated. The Helo's fly roughly 500 feet lower than fixed wing, but no one is flying down to the river or flying through the Canyon. The Helo's that do fly down do so about 100 miles west of the main part of the Canyon outside the National Park. Those flights are to pick up rafters and such.

I hope that this helps. Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions as I did fly out there this summer. Seeing the Canyon from the air gives you a totally different perspective, and I would definitely recommend that you do it.

Latest resources

Back