135 Checkride as ATP ride?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

421Driver

Has anyone done a FAA 135 checkride as a ATP checkride as well? So if you are taking a 135 ride with an FAA inspector you should be able to do the ATP ride as well?

Yes, this was done regularly at my former company. Your check airman just has to be a designated examiner (or FAA inspector) as well.

421Driver said:
Has anyone done a FAA 135 checkride as a ATP checkride as well? So if you are taking a 135 ride with an FAA inspector you should be able to do the ATP ride as well?

We have had several people take their ATP ride while doing a 135 checkride. The only differance is that we have an in-house DPE. The FAA should be able to do it as long as your POI/inspector is able to give ATP checkride in the kind of equipment that you intend to use...

I just did mine with my company's POI. However, it wasn't my required 135 ride. A checkairman was due his observed ride with the fed and he needed a "guinnea pig" to be his victim in the left seat. The checkairman administered the ride with the fed watching us both and the fed told him what he needed to see to accomplish my ATP ride.

The best part was that it was FREE and I got to do it in an airplane that I have almost 1000 hours in versus paying at ALL ATP's for an airplane that I have never flown before. Did I mention FREE?

Many others have done this at my company as well.

Good Luck.

That's how I got both my single- and multi- ATP. The checkride is pretty much the same, with minor differences possible depending on the equipment you're flying and the authorizations you have under 135.

The interesting part is that I almost took my SE ATP (my first ATP rating) with a Fed who didn't have the rating himself...day before the checkride they discovered that one of the inspectors in the office had a SE ATP, and they switched him onto my checkride at the last minute ;)

Fly safe!

David

Zantop used to give a Comm/MEL/Inst to private SEL pilots when they took their SIC ride in the L-188, most went on to become Captains.

The difference is, they have to ask you some more questions during the oral. They have to ask PTS questions in the required subject matter. Usually the weather questions are the most noticeable. Most other questions will be similliar to a 135/121 re-current oral/type oral.

4fanman said:
I just did mine with my company's POI. However, it wasn't my required 135 ride. A checkairman was due his observed ride with the fed and he needed a "guinnea pig" to be his victim in the left seat. The checkairman administered the ride with the fed watching us both and the fed told him what he needed to see to accomplish my ATP ride.

The best part was that it was FREE and I got to do it in an airplane that I have almost 1000 hours in versus paying at ALL ATP's for an airplane that I have never flown before. Did I mention FREE?

Many others have done this at my company as well.

Good Luck.

I did the same exact thing for my SE ATP, albeit for 91K. It was nice and easy, although the oral took the better part of 5 hours. Did I mention it was FREE?!? :beer:

I did my ATP, DC-3 type and 135 ride all at once. The ride was given by a company check airman and observed by a FAA designated examiner.

Latest resources

Back