135 charter startup

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

bugchaser

Have been considering options and wonder if anyone has any advise to offer on starting a 135 charter operation. Thinking about starting with a light twin and also offering flight training, rentals etc. Am I completely crazy? The idea of owning my own business has great appeal to me. I know it will be a lot of work for relatively low return. Is it still possible to make something like this work given the right location?

I have a buddy of mine with a 1973 Piper Aztec E Model, 135 current and the certificate that will probaly be up for sale soon. Aircraft has new engines and dual Garmin 430's

CW

Country Wild said:
I have a buddy of mine with a 1973 Piper Aztec E Model, 135 current and the certificate that will probaly be up for sale soon. Aircraft has new engines and dual Garmin 430's

CW

I recently asked the question to our FSDO about "selling a 135 certificate" as I've seen it advertised that way before. I would love to get out of 135 if we could. The FSDO said there are times they will consider a transfer of certificate like that with little trouble only if they know the new potential operator. With an unfamiliar person, the FSDO will make you start from scratch. Is this what you understand? Basically all you are "selling" is your clientel and your name possibly. The FSDO and the new operator still has to go through their certification process for that new operator to be approved and start operating. What price do put on a 135 operation/business (small - no contracts)? I know I'd like to get some payback for all the time I've spent putting together our Ops Manual, Training Program, and AAIP for a BE-200. Any takers?

135 start up

Bugchaser,
If you do a search on 135 start up you will find that we discussed this a few months ago.
It is a lot of work, it took me about a year total to get up and running. The FAA certification took about 5 months and that was with a retired fed doing my initial compliance statement.
Good luck!

Kevin

bugchaser said:
Have been considering options and wonder if anyone has any advise to offer on starting a 135 charter operation. Thinking about starting with a light twin and also offering flight training, rentals etc. Am I completely crazy? The idea of owning my own business has great appeal to me. I know it will be a lot of work for relatively low return. Is it still possible to make something like this work given the right location?

I've done it before. It's not a money making proposition in itself but you can build time teaching, if that's your goal, and break into the charter business. Depending on your finances it could be a good way to subsidize your aiplane ownership and be a good hobby business. On the other hand Connie Kallita started with a Seneca........Ziggy1

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back