Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

WTF

Over
Prolly been asked before. Cant find it though. Who is PIC on the 135.299 check. Does your company dispatch the non-pax trip to the one being checked or to the checker? Is this one of those gray areas. The chicken before the egg?

To clarify. A check airman comes to do someones 135.299 ride. Does the check airman assume the role of PIC and observe the person he's checking? I was told that the person who is receiving the check cannot be the PIC because he has not yet passed the 135.299 check yet.

Initials YES, Recurrents NO

For initials on a revenue trip the Check Airman or some other Captain has to sign for the airplane. The person signing for the airplane is the PIC, the person assigned by the company. On recurrent checks, the check airman may act a SIC. The Check Airman could ride the jump seat and does not even have to act as a pilot for either the initial; or recurrent. However a check airman is under a higher level of scrutiny that a line pilot and if there is a problem with the flight, the check man will accountable for their actions. I always have the other pilot sign for the airplane when I give check ride.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back