Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

CloudyIFR

Hello,

I realize this has probably been hashed over and over and I've searched till I'm tired but I have a question concerning the difference between section (a) and (b) of 135.265.

Is section (b) for only two pilot crews as has been suggested to me or for those flights that end in over the 8-hour flight time restriction in section (a) that are Part 91, (reposition) which would affect the beginning of your next Part 135 flight?

Thanks for the insight.

Curtis

Why someone doesn't just create some commercially available computer program to hash out the various (91, 135, 121) duty time limits is beyond me.

Wouldn't it be so easy to just enter your times in an iPod type device which would tell you if yer legal or not for X amount of flying. Perhaps a breathalyzer on the other end would be practical too!

Logbook Pro has just that. A page that shows u legal status according to the various regulations.

Hello,

I realize this has probably been hashed over and over and I've searched till I'm tired but I have a question concerning the difference between section (a) and (b) of 135.265.

Is section (b) for only two pilot crews as has been suggested to me or for those flights that end in over the 8-hour flight time restriction in section (a) that are Part 91, (reposition) which would affect the beginning of your next Part 135 flight?

Thanks for the insight.

Curtis

I think section (b) implies that it only applies to a two-pilot crew. A single-pilot can only be scheduled for 8 in 24. I realize you can fly more than that doing a 91 repo, but the company can't schedule you to fly 8 hours one way, then quick turn and fly 8 hours back. A two pilot crew can fly 8 hours between rest periods. Subtle difference, but with two pilots you could be scheduled for and fly over 8 hours in 24 and still get required rest.

For example, starting at 1200 on Monday, you duty on, fly 7 hours, and duty off at 2100. A single-pilot could get 9 hours of rest and duty on again Tuesday at 0600, but wouldn't be able to fly much before going over 8 in 24. Section (b) allows a two pilot crew to go flying again right out of rest (thus going over 8 in 24) as long as the rest period is lengthened accordingly so that by the end of the second assignment they've gotten the prescribed rest in the past 24 hours.

Hope that makes sense. I could be wrong, but that's how I read it.

Last edited:
Amish Rakefight - Wouldn't a nice Excel Spreadsheet or something like that for a Palm Pilot make sense, wish I knew how to do that myself!!!

EatSleepFly - Thanks for the thorough reply.

Curtis

Logbook Pro has just that. A page that shows u legal status according to the various regulations.

I must be crazy, but I couldn't figure out how to imput one stupid flight leg into that stupid program. It seems way more complicated than it should be - is it really that hard to use? Any experience tracking legality with it?

AZT

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back