• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

1261 days to go!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
One thing that the geezometer doesn't factor in is sick leave. I just went to a UAL message board and found these exchanges:

"Talking to some guys I know on the 400, I don't think United is going to have a "too many pilots" problem in the near future."

"If you had 700-900 hrs of SL, only a year left, and needed a new knee, hip, whatever, what would you do?"

It souds like the airlines had better prepare for sick leave/retirements to pick up starting next spring.

Agreed. Having had their pensions trashed there is little incentive to leave anything behind, such as unused sick leave. Leaving medical issues until after retirement and using Medicare means your choice of medical professionals is restricted. I would agree that senior pilots retirements - or, more accurately, at least absence from the flight line - will rise throughout 2012 as the first year beneficiaries of the rule change turn 64.

Last edited:
Andy, I agree. It has been a discussion at SWA too. Our pilots have been wanting options for the 1600 sickbank TFP that are left on the table upon retirement.

Welcome to the 'Meter.

One small thing:

In the GeezerMeter By-Laws, Page 376, Article 56, sub-part (a) states that: All GeezerMeter updates should be posted at "12:00am or later Central time."

WB

Welcome to the 'Meter.

One small thing:

In the GeezerMeter By-Laws, Page 376, Article 56, sub-part (a) states that: All GeezerMeter updates should be posted at "12:00am or later Central time."

WB

DOH! My bad. My first time posting the change; here I am in AZ which is essentially PDT until daylight savings goes away and we go back to Mountain Time.
I thought that I was being clever by setting my FI time zone to EDT and posting right after midnite.

Well, I guess that'll be the last time I beat one of you guys; you're way quicker than me.

... if you've got guys at 1600 hrs sickbank, they need to start going out on medical pretty soon to burn it all up. GLTA

You really have to be an early bird to catch up with Whataburger on the Geezermeter! I'm 15 minutes late, and thousands of dollars short

Andy, I agree. It has been a discussion at SWA too. Our pilots have been wanting options for the 1600 sickbank TFP that are left on the table upon retirement.

Welcome to the 'Meter.

One small thing:

WB

Wouldn't be easier to make it 12am eastern so I can get to bed earlier? I need my beauty sleep... (I really do)

Latest resources

Back