• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

1261 days to go!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
After looking at the list of pilots senior to me that are currently on furlough, I figure that I am looking at recall sometime in 2015. Cool; I turn 55 in 2015. I'm probably not coming back; there are easier and better ways to make a living.

I hear CAL is offering you the opportunity to start at the bottom of their list now. If you really want the job you could just give up all that worthless UAL seniority. What a deal, take it while you can.

"Originally Posted by Andy 

After looking at the list of pilots senior to me that are currently on furlough, I figure that I am looking at recall sometime in 2015. Cool; I turn 55 in 2015. I'm probably not coming back; there are easier and better ways to make a living."

I am glad that u have figured out a better career for yourself than flying. It is a bad career choice for many people.

For those pilots coming off of recalls in rhe next couple of yrs, it will be a VERY pleasant surprise. HOUR departments worldwide will run through their recall lists at breathtaking speed, and then they will be the most desperate they have been since the early 1960s.
The combination of Flight/duty/rest rules, MASSIVE overseas expantion of aviation, especially in China/India and the ME, ATPs being required for -121 entry and retirements will create a "Perfect Storm". Even cos. Like DAL/UAL will be restricted on new-hires, as an ATP will be required, and they will need some more pilots for Flt/Duty/Rest. I think there will also be less regional flying because of the above factors, requiring more mainline flying.
Good kuck and God Bless.
Cliff
VCP

"Originally Posted by Andy 

After looking at the list of pilots senior to me that are currently on furlough, I figure that I am looking at recall sometime in 2015. Cool; I turn 55 in 2015. I'm probably not coming back; there are easier and better ways to make a living."

I am glad that u have figured out a better career for yourself than flying. It is a bad career choice for many people.

For those pilots coming off of recalls in rhe next couple of yrs, it will be a VERY pleasant surprise. HOUR departments worldwide will run through their recall lists at breathtaking speed, and then they will be the most desperate they have been since the early 1960s.
The combination of Flight/duty/rest rules, MASSIVE overseas expantion of aviation, especially in China/India and the ME, ATPs being required for -121 entry and retirements will create a "Perfect Storm". Even cos. Like DAL/UAL will be restricted on new-hires, as an ATP will be required, and they will need some more pilots for Flt/Duty/Rest. I think there will also be less regional flying because of the above factors, requiring more mainline flying.
Good kuck and God Bless.
Cliff
VCP

There's a large percentage of an entire generation of pilots who got forced out due to this change. If a change to 70 came right away the same will happen again. My question is: if it were a certainty that 1000s more pilots got locked out of their chance at this, would further age changes be justified? How many 1000s should have to lose a chance so pilots who've had their's (and then some) can linger longer? Seriously, home many? IMO it shouldn't have happened to any....

And I don't think 70 is coming. At all. 65 is going to be a brick wall. In fact, I think Canada will match ICAO with 65. Fractionals will as well and the remainder of commercial aviation will too. 65 will eventually become far more discriminatory for more pilots than 60 was for the small number of FAR 121 pilots that were held to it.

I hope a lot of you age 60+ cake eaters take a little time to reflect on things during the Holidays. Apart from guys like me being a little too vocal (occasionally), the rule has been in place quite peacefully. That's a lot of professionalism on the part of guys like Andy, but who are still flying. In a way, it's a good thing this burden fell upon the generation of pilots it did. Because we all know you cake eaters could not have coped....

Last edited:
I hope a lot of you age 60+ cake eaters take a little time to reflect on things during the Holidays. Apart from guys like me being a little too vocal (occasionally), the rule has been in place quite peacefully. That's a lot of professionalism on the part of guys like Andy, but who are still flying. In a way, it's a good thing this burden fell upon the generation of pilots it did. Because we all know you cake eaters could not have coped....

Flop,

Im having a frosty beverage in your honor this eve. Well said sir, well said. :beer:

Q/F

p.s. What happened to all those guys who were "leaving at 62"??!!

Last edited:
And I don't think 70 is coming. At all. 65 is going to be a brick wall. In fact, I think Canada will match ICAO with 65. Fractionals will as well and the remainder of commercial aviation will too. 65 will eventually become far more discriminatory for more pilots than 60 was for the small number of FAR 121 pilots that were held to it.
Not happening. This year, 2 Air Canada pilots, over Age 65, sued in Canada's "Supreme Court" for age discrimination when they were retired. They won and they are back on the payroll. Canada will drop the age requirement sooner rather than later.

A year or so ago, in EU's "Supreme Court", 2 persons won age discrimination cases for being retired at a certain age (NOT pilots). The EU court ruled that retiring someone just because of their age is wrong. EU will also lose the age requirement.

I think it will take longer in the US, so the 2012 exodus is safe, but it will be raised down the road.

Just flew on LAN (Chile) 767-300 and talked to the pilots. LAN just bought TAM, and he said the LAN holding company is set to grow explosively. The biggest problem is the pilot shortage. The Capt said they were already recruiting in Spain, and all over the place, and it will just get worse when the massive growth happens for LAN. He also said they would have already grown more, but the 787s keep getting pushed back, so they are looking for 767s to fill the gaps.

Add S. America to the ME/India/China as high-growth aviation areas.

cliff
SCL

Not happening. This year, 2 Air Canada pilots, over Age 65, sued in Canada's "Supreme Court" for age discrimination when they were retired. They won and they are back on the payroll. Canada will drop the age requirement sooner rather than later.

A year or so ago, in EU's "Supreme Court", 2 persons won age discrimination cases for being retired at a certain age (NOT pilots). The EU court ruled that retiring someone just because of their age is wrong. EU will also lose the age requirement.

I think it will take longer in the US, so the 2012 exodus is safe, but it will be raised down the road.

Just flew on LAN (Chile) 767-300 and talked to the pilots. LAN just bought TAM, and he said the LAN holding company is set to grow explosively. The biggest problem is the pilot shortage. The Capt said they were already recruiting in Spain, and all over the place, and it will just get worse when the massive growth happens for LAN. He also said they would have already grown more, but the 787s keep getting pushed back, so they are looking for 767s to fill the gaps.

Add S. America to the ME/India/China as high-growth aviation areas.

cliff
SCL
heck we are looking for the age 90 rules, get those old farts out of the 135 on-demand busisiness

Latest resources

Back