1224 efforts having the desired effect?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

laserman2431

So, I listen to the hotline message every week. It seems to be exactly the same. You get some of this:

• The "DHL Ruins Lives" campaign is having the "desired effect" and "absolutely no progress has been made in the negotiations." Is it just me or do these two statements seem to be contradictory? I guess it depends on your point of view. If you are receiving a regular paycheck, things like letters to politicians might be a measure of success. Now they are going to turn up the heat with more money spent on billboards and ad campaigns. Just what is the "desired effect?"
  • Sarcastic remarks. What purpose do those serve?
  • Oh. here is a new one. Now the union bosses are disappointed with Miami pilots for being available for extra assignments. What? Are these the same dudes who had no problem with ILN guys, including union leaders, grabbing up all the open time they could get? That's a huge hypocrisy.
So. Grabel says they need concessions to keep contracts or get new ones. The union does not provide any serious rebuttal. About the only response they seem to provide is that they don't think the company has provided adequate proof of need. What? Half the pilot group is gone. Don't get me wrong. I want the union to provide some evidence that concessions are not necessary. I want to write a letter to Grabel and say that I agree with the union position. But what is the union position? They need more proof? Management is a bunch of liars and meanies?

OK.. Flame away union guys.

Laser,
Join the message boards over at the 1224 website. Posting here doesn't do really any good.

PM me for more info.

Posting here may not do any good but many of us are curious about whats going on over there with your severance and negotiations. I sent a message on your website and really wish you guys the best of luck. Any info. you can share about how many guys are on furlough, any more to be furloughed, severance, and status of negotiations would be appreciated.

Graber is only good for the same old line.
"We need more cutbacks to grow"
WTF JOHN?
you should try to grow revenue. Nice concept, you should try it!
But hey it got you this far. Oh yea and keep taking that FAT yes Boy with you where ever you go : Gerdes.
He makes you look good. and gives ya A nice reach around too I suppose.
RANT OVER
SLURP SLURP

Not being a "Union Guy" per se

Having come from the Local 747 to the 1224 I think that there is definitely more support coming from Union HQ than under Sewell for what ever that is worth. That being said any pilot group within the union-and therefore the members of that group- bear most of the responsibility for the results. It's just that my observation is that the 1224 is far more supportive and responsive.

Though I have no involvement in the DHL mess-just my perspective from another airline.

Perhaps I misunderstood the original post and it was intended to be DHL specific.

Last edited:
It is having the desired effect....I received my $150,000 check in mail...didn't you get yours?

When DHL dictated ABX's business model, ABX needed bean counters running the company. Now that DHL is gone, ABX needs dynamic leadership to reinvigorate the company and go out and get new customers. Bean counters can't do that. To expect different results from doing the same thing over and over again is the definition of insanity. Sadly it seems all concerned keep doing the same things over and over again... sadly the results are the same.

Graber is only good for the same old line.
"We need more cutbacks to grow"
WTF JOHN?
you should try to grow revenue. Nice concept, you should try it!
But hey it got you this far. Oh yea and keep taking that FAT yes Boy with you where ever you go : Gerdes.
He makes you look good. and gives ya A nice reach around too I suppose.
RANT OVER
SLURP SLURP

Speaking of Fat, as someone that has already been through our cuts I can say that they have trimmed more than just fat from the operation. They have cut into muscle and bone. Now I don't know if that is because they know something of the future that we do not but I can say our operation is skeleton staffed, underpaid and over worked. Our operation is very different than what we were before DHL vaporized what 30 years built up and cuts are necessary. I understand that. But for an airline that is supposed to be taking these cuts to grow, obtain more flying and customers, I hope they have a magic rabbit they are going to pull out because they have cut way to far for the operation we have now....forget about future growth. The future there is worse than foggy and zero vis would be more appropriate. It makes no sense. If they do not provide a map of our future company my resume is ready to pump out. Good luck to those that stay.

Last edited:
They will get the cuts they want from the 1224. Then they will go to the Cappy guys and try and go lower. Aren't they(Cappy) in negotiations? ATSG has decided ABX's survival will be a wait and see.

Latest resources

Back