Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

utahpilot

Seeing the light
was talking to my friend who is a 121 CA in SLC about his schedule, got me wondering:

how many hours do you spend away from home each week? for example, my buddy leaves at 9:45 for a 10:30 show on Monday, gets home on Thursday at about 7:15. That makes about 81 hours away from home each week.

Comparing that to a 9-5er, who leaves at 8 in the AM and gets home, let's say at 6 in the PM, he is gone 50 hours per week.

just wondering how long ya'll spend away from home, including driving to the airport?

I just got back from a 4 day trip and the system tells me that I spent 74 hours time away from base. So including time driving back and forth to the airport , it's about 75 hours a week.

I left my house on April 26 and haven't been home yet. End of month, start of new month, and recurrent ground school hosed me bigtime!!!!!!

This month I am away from home a total of 255 hours. That works out to about 58 hours away from base each week. I have what's called a Vacation/Training Line (also known as a build-up line) full of a bunch of different trips. I just flew a nasty 5-day trip 104 hours away from base. I have two days off then a three day trip 51.5 hours away from base. Then 2 days off and a two day trip 36.5 hours away from base. One day off and another 2-day trip 27.8 hours away from base. One day off and then 4 locals in a row each reporting at 7:40 am and off by 12:00 pm (4.3 hours away from base each day- Sweet!). Then three days off and 3 locals of the same 4.3 hours away each day. Then a day off and another local 4.7 hours away from base. I live 15 minutes from the airport by car plus another 15 minutes to get from the parking lot to check in. I normally bid least amount of time away from home. For me I like locals, standups (naps), 3 day trips, and two day back to backs. Then undesirable 4-day trips are next followed by dreaded 5-day trips.

Where I work we have three reserve periods we can bid for each month. We can also preference whether to be called first or last dependant on seniority. I get pure reserve lines every month but bid last out so I'm usually only called an average of 6-7 times per month. That generally ends up being ~ 100 hours away from home a month. :D

This month I have 317 hours away from base, and 86 hours of flight time. 4 days on (Wed-Sat), three days off (Sun-Tue) every week, and 13 days off. First day starts at 1:30 in the afternoon and the last day finishes at 10:00 in the morning. Awesome commuting schedule!!:D

My schedule this month is 277 hrs. time away from base with 88 hours of flying and 16 days off. For the most part 3 on and 4 off schedule.

When I worked at Mesa I was home every night and I had 13 days off per month.

But I guess it was a dream since most people on this board seem to think working at Mesa is the flying worst job in the world.

Latest resources

Back