Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

MartinFierro

Flyin' Gaucho
I was reviewing some IFR stuff, and found that the regs (Part 91) say that to be IFR current, a pilot must log 6 approaches down to minimums to be current. Being that all Capt.s must do recurrent every 6 months, this obviously isn't a problem for them. But what about F/O's? The regs only require recurrent every 12 months, and it is quite possible that during 6 months of line flying an F/O does not do 6 approaches down to minimums. Is there a special provision somewhere in the 121 regs that addresses this, or do I have something misunderstood? Thanks for any help!

Actually, it is in Part 61 where recent experience is addressed. Note it is specifically for "pilot in command". Note also that 61.57(2) specifically excludes PICs employed by an air carrier operating under Part 121. You can read the references to Part 121 listed if you want more info.

Sec. 61.57

Recent flight experience: Pilot in command.
(c) Instrument experience. Except as provided in paragraph (e) of this section, no person may act as pilot in command under IFR or in weather conditions less than the minimums prescribed for VFR, unless within the preceding 6 calendar months, that person has:
(1) For the purpose of obtaining instrument experience in an aircraft (other than a glider), performed and logged under actual or simulated instrument conditions, either in flight in the appropriate category of aircraft for the instrument privileges sought or in a flight simulator or flight training device that is representative of the aircraft category for the instrument privileges sought--
(i) At least six instrument approaches;
(ii) Holding procedures; and
(iii) Intercepting and tracking courses through the use of navigation systems.
(2) For the purpose of obtaining instrument experience in a glider, performed and logged under actual or simulated instrument conditions--
(i) At least 3 hours of instrument time in flight, of which 1 « hours may be acquired in an airplane or a glider if no passengers are to be carried; or
(ii) 3 hours of instrument time in flight in a glider if a passenger is to be carried.
(d) Instrument proficiency check. Except as provided in paragraph (e) of this section, a person who does not meet the instrument experience requirements of paragraph (c) of this section within the prescribed time, or within 6 calendar months after the prescribed time, may not serve as pilot in command under IFR or in weather conditions less than the minimums prescribed for VFR until that person passes an instrument proficiency check consisting of a representative number of tasks required by the instrument rating practical test.

(2) This section does not apply to a pilot in command who is employed by an air carrier certificated under part 121 or 135 and is engaged in a flight operation under part 91, 121, or 135 for that air carrier if the pilot is in compliance with Secs. 121.437 and 121.439, or Secs. 135.243 and 135.247 of this chapter, as appropriate

121 FOs only need 3 takeoffs and landings every 90 days to remain current; plus a pro-check every 12 months.

§ 121.439 Pilot qualification: Recent experience.

(a) No certificate holder may use any person nor may any person serve as a required pilot flight crewmember, unless within the preceding 90 days, that person has made at least three takeoffs and landings in the type airplane in which that person is to serve. The takeoffs and landings required by this paragraph may be performed in a visual simulator approved under § 121.407 to include takeoff and landing maneuvers. In addition, any person who fails to make the three required takeoffs and landings within any consecutive 90-day period must reestablish recency of experience as provided in paragraph (b) of this section.

§ 121.441 Proficiency checks.

(a) No certificate holder may use any person nor may any person serve as a required pilot flight crewmember unless that person has satisfactorily completed either a proficiency check, or an approved simulator course of training under § 121.409, as follows:

(1) For a pilot in command, a proficiency check within the preceding 12 calendar months and, in addition, within the preceding 6 calendar months, either a proficiency check or the simulator training.

(2) For all other pilots --

(i) Within the preceding 24 calendar months either a proficiency check or the line-oriented simulator training course under § 121.409; and

(ii) Within the preceding 12 calendar months, either a proficiency check or any simulator training course under § 121.409.

I assume you want to stay current for flying outside of 121 ops. The Part 121/135 PIC recurrency checks do qualify for meeting the recent experience in 61.56, .57, .58. An FO, I believe, would have to make his own arrangements to meet 61.57 requirements if he were to say rent a Cessna and fly IFR.

Latest resources

Back