• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

121 derived alt mins question

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
But there are two different approaches.....ILS 13 and ILS 31.....they just happen to use the same freq of 110.9.......there are two different Morse code idents so the pilots can determine which ILS approach they are on.....so I think it all comes down to the definition of "operational navigation facilities." Is the unit that broadcasts the ILS 1 or 2 "facilities"? AntiJedi says they are two different transmitters that share the same freq, but can be switched by the tower......

oh well....not that big of a deal....I'm not going to beat myself up over it.....delay still goes on the crew in my opinion :)

I know I am late to the party, but yes 2 different idents are considered two different approaches.

From the FAA 8900.1

Question: “Does the FAA consider an ILS facility that contains a single transmitter frequency for an ILS, but with two different ILS identifications (depending on which runway is used), as one or two navigational facilities?”

1) The words “two operational facilities” mean that in the event there is a single failure of one facility, the other would be operational. In the situation where both instrument landing system (ILS) facilities share a single transmitter, they are “one operational navigational facility” because both ILSs would become inoperative in the event of a single transmitter failure.

2) The two ILS identifiers would have to be different even though the ILS transmitter frequency is the same for both. The instrument approach charts indicate to the pilot whether there is one frequency or two. Thus, one or two navigational facilities.

Two idents, two approaches - the pilot was wrong (I love to say that)

Latest resources

Back