121 ATP written expiration

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

calstar

I took my ATP written in '99 to land my first 121 gig. I then went to my second 121 job in 2000 and I am still here.

Based on FAR 61.39 I can take my ATP ride with my expired written or I can move on to another 121 carrier and take my expired written with me.

Am I reading it right?

(b) Notwithstanding the provisions of paragraphs (a)(1) and (2) of this section, an applicant for an airline transport pilot certificate or an additional rating to an airline transport certificate may take the practical test for that certificate or rating with an expired knowledge test report, provided that the applicant:
(1) Is employed as a flight crewmember by a certificate holder under part 121, 125, or 135 of this chapter at the time of the practical test and has satisfactorily accomplished that operator's approved—
(i) Pilot in command aircraft qualification training program that is appropriate to the certificate and rating sought; and
(ii) Qualification training requirements appropriate to the certificate and rating sought; or
(2) Is employed as a flight crewmember in scheduled U.S. military air transport operations at the time of the practical test, and has accomplished the pilot in command aircraft qualification training program that is appropriate to the certificate and rating sought.

you'll take the type ride and atp ride in one shot when you upgrade with the company using your expired atp written.

Thanks. I'm aware of that.

Not all 121 carriers give a type rating when upgrading.

Anyway back to the topic. I am always hearing people say that your ATPw never expires if you stay at the 121 carrier you were with when you took the written.

Or, your ATPw won't expire if you switch 121 carriers with no gaps in employment.

I don't know where they are getting this. After reading 61.39 an ATPw will always expire at 2 years, however you can take your ATP ride with a 121 carrier with the expired ATPw.

But I guess the real question is can you take your expired ATPw with you to interview at a 121 carrier?

The Reg is clear. You will do better to read your reference than listining to what you hear. The "old" reg stated "Continionus" employment, not so now.

Your reference:
(1) Is employed as a flight crewmember by a certificate holder under part 121, 125, or 135 of this chapter at the time of the practical test and has satisfactorily accomplished that operator's approved—

JAFI

Sweet, thanks man.

I wasn't aware that the reg had changed. I read it like 3 times thinking where are people getting these interpretations.

Thanks again.

Latest resources

Back